22-284, 6mm-284, 6.5-284

AndyD

What's goin on everybody. New to the site. I am wanting to build one of the 3 rifles listed in the title. I have a Savage model 12FV 22-250 and Remy 700 VTR 243, that I use for coyotes, hogs, etc.....But I also love to target shoot. Both of these guns drive tacks and are cheap to reload and buy ammo for. I am wanting to get into some match shooting/Long Range shooting. I have other long range guns, but want to get into some wildcat cartridges to shoot and reload. Just wanted some input from any of y'all that may own one of these calibers, what types of barrels and actions to go with, and how much I'm lookin at to build one of these calibers.

Myself and a friend both had 22-284's built this past winter. They are a lot of fun to shoot, with little to no recoil. We both shoot the 80 grain Bergers at 3550-3600 fps. Powder is RL 25 @ 55-56 gr I believe. Both rifles are built off of Reminton 700 actions with BRUX barrels. As far as cost it all depends what you add on. You could use a $200 dollar stock or you might want a $700 stock. You can build it fairly affordable. I have not shot mine very much but will this fall. Shoots one ragged hole groups at 100 yds and was holding under 1MOA at 500 Yds. Is the 22-284 going to be a barrel burner? YES! But they make new barrels every day.

Thank you Beeman, it's about time someone call it how it is. Barrels are expendable, period.

I shoot the 6-284 with 107smks @ over 3400. Uber flat shooting & mild recoil (albeit in a 15lb rifle). The 6-284 held a 1000yd record for a number of years, that should tell you something about the accuracy potential.

With any of the three, use a Long Action & Lapua brass, you will thank me later.

the 6.5 version will probably last the longest & is a proven performer, just not nearly as fast or flat as the other two.

I own three different 6mm's & two 6.5 all from mild to wild. In your application, either the 6mm or 6.5 would suit you best (IMHO). Which is up to you.

t

Cool deal. Appreciate it fellas. I totally agree about the barrel situation. I'm about to rebarrel my 22-250 and my 338. They aren't really that high priced for the amount of fun you can have. Who would be a good builder I could hollar at to build my rifle.

Cool deal. Appreciate it fellas. I totally agree about the barrel situation. I'm about to rebarrel my 22-250 and my 338. They aren't really that high priced for the amount of fun you can have. Who would be a good builder I could hollar at to build my rifle.

You could send it over to GAP in Georgia, they are rifle whisperers and know what they are doing. Home - GA Precision

It sounds like both of your donor rifles are short actions, yes??

I don't know much about the Savage but you can put an extended mag box in a SA Rem. that will get you out to 2.9 OAL. With the longggg 6mm bullets like the 105 Berger Hybrid and 107 SMK, that still may not be enough though.

Outlaw6.0, what is your C.O.A.L with a loaded up 107 SMK?

IMO, the 6-284 and 6.5-284 really shine when using the heavy for caliber bullets but if you don't plan on shooting 600+ yards on a regular basis you can/could do a 1-10tw 6-284 and shoot the 90ish class bullets. They certainly don't have the BC and long legs of the 105+ class but inside of 600yards they are very potent.

My 6-284 is one of my favorite yote getters and it's built on a SA Rem with a 1-12tw barrel that I shoot the 75Vmax in. I agree with Outlaw6.0 that a LA Rem is MUCH preferred but if a SA is all you have it can be done and if you plan on shooting the 105-107's I would look into having your smith put the extended mag box in.

B23,

My 6-284 COAL is ~ 3.100". You could most definitely run 2.900 in a S/A however, with the 6-284's appetite for throats, it's nice to be able to adjust your COAL to accomidate.

t

There are many good "Smiths" right here on this board so finding one shouldn't be a problem especially if you are using a Remington 700 action as your donor.

I don't know who all is in your area but it's really nice if you can find someone that is close enough to drive to. I'm VERY lucky to have Defensive Edge only about 30min. from my house. Not only are they close but they build one hell of a rifle and have the fastest turn around time of anyone I've ever used. They built my 223ai and it will flat drive tacks!!!

Bull Mtn. Rifle Company in Billings Mt. built my 6-284 and it shoots great too.

Kevin Cram, Montour County Rifles, built my dad's 6-06ai and it drills holes with the 105 Hybrid Berger.

These are just a few that I've used, there are many more on this forum.

Best of luck on your build!

Well I'm not gonna use the Remy or the Savage for a donor. I was thinking of going off a new stock 700 or custom action and just building it little by little from there. I'm am a savage guy but I do know they don't make a whole lot of aftermarket accessories. So im gonna go with the 700 or something like it. But I do need a long action correct? What length barrel would y'all recommend?

Mine is a long action. I wouldn't go shorter than 26" on the barrel.

Ditto. Go long action. I might suggest a Stiller as they can be had pretty cheap & from the 2 that I have, are a pretty good action for the money.

NO shorter than 26". There is a lot of powder to burn in a relatively small bore. Run a cool burning powder like H-1000 & rock on.

t

Mine is a long action. I wouldn't go shorter than 26" on the barrel.

Ditto. Go long action. I might suggest a Stiller as they can be had pretty cheap & from the 2 that I have, are a pretty good action for the money.

NO shorter than 26". There is a lot of powder to burn in a relatively small bore. Run a cool burning powder like H-1000 & rock on.

t

I agree, LA is the way to go. For the barrel, 26" minimum but 28'' would better and 30'' better yet.

Well I'm not gonna use the Remy or the Savage for a donor. I was thinking of going off a new stock 700 or custom action and just building it little by little from there. I'm am a savage guy but I do know they don't make a whole lot of aftermarket accessories. So im gonna go with the 700 or something like it. But I do need a long action correct? What length barrel would y'all recommend?

I'm having a 6x284 built on a S&W M1500 (Howa/Vanguard) and should be getting next week. 26" Broughton 5C, light varmint set in a B&C full aluminum bedded Medalist stock. Really looking forward to it!

Custom actions are of course better, but the Howa Vanguard actions have a lot of good features and need very little in modifications. The LA is about 1/4" shorter than the 700 LA but quite long enough for the 284 cartridges or even up to a Dakota.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.