22-250AI vs IMR 4320,H-380,Varget,IMR 4064

Iron Worker

Useing IMR 4320 39gr behind 52gr Hornady A-MAX. Produced an average of 3860 for 1st 10 rnds with 3/4" groups at 100yds.2nd 10 rnds saome load produced 3,940 with really crummy accuracy. Last week with same load one group gave me .410. Not today Why all the inconsistances????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In my .22-250, the 52 gr AMAX shoot at 4020 fps into 1/2 MOA groups out to 500m. Initially they chrono'd @ 3840 fps, but when I switched brass to the WW the velocity shot up to 4020 fps with no signs of pressure. I am shooting 37.5 gr Varget, Fed GM210M, WW brass. The gun is a Remington Varmint Special with 26" barrel.

What's your twist? I suggest that you use a heavier bullet; therein lies your advantage with the Ackley. Also, give H414 a try.

Good hunting. LB

[ QUOTE ]
What's your twist? I suggest that you use a heavier bullet; therein lies your advantage with the Ackley. Also, give H414 a try.

Good hunting. LB

[/ QUOTE ] I'm shooting a Cooper Classic with 1 in 14 twist. H414 ha? Ok well what the heck I'll try it.

IronWorker,
all of the powders that you listed work great in a 22-250 but in an A.I. you need a slower powder. I have 2 right now and have had others in the past. one of my rifles likes imr 4831 w/55gr bal.tips and the other likes n160 w/55gr bal.tips. of the powders you listed scratch H380 off the list if you work up a load in 50 degree weather and try that same load in 80 degree weather you might have to post back in braille . I'm not kidding, after all my years of reloading I have never found a more volitle combination than H380 and a 220 swift or a 22-250AI , it works great in a standard 22-250 though. like others have said try H414 but even slower is worth a try. sorry for my bad grammar it is actually volatile. try imr4831 and report back.
UB

Several shooters have warned me about H-380.I have too much to lose to not heed your warning.Dang several have suggested Varget. I'll try H-414. One week IMR 4320 worked great next week it didn't.Maybe I'm making mistakes on the shooting bench I'm unaware of!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Were I you, I would forget 55 grain bullets and look at the 62, or 64 grain Berger, (not MEF) and absolutely use H414. Myself, I run a 65 grain Starke HP with 44.0 gr. of H414 at 3925fps. You may not get that high level, but whatever you do get, your 400+ yard performance will put almost any 55 grain bullet, at higher MV velocity, to shame.
Good advice.

Good hunting. LB

The 65 Starke is not a stock item. Clint made them special for me, maybe he will do it again? It wouldn't hurt to ask. They would be worthwhile.

LB has a point, don't try to reinvent the wheel. My rifle, .22-250, will out shoot, velocitywise, most .22-250 AI with 52 gr bullets, but I cannot get within 200 fps of AI velocities with a 60+gr bullet. It should be common knowledge that those bigger pills will buck the wind and thump varmints at longer ranges with greater ease. I know Hornady makes a 60 gr VMAX and a 75 gr too I think. I would at least try the 60 grainers starting a little under LB's load and see what you get. You got the extra AI horsepower; put it to use!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.