22-250AI or 22-243 or what

tjonh2001

i am starting a new builld. i ordered a broughton 8 twist 22 caliber for my remington 700 short action. i am wondering what is the best case for hunting coyotes and might shoot a f class with it for fun. i am planning on shooting the 75 grain a-max or 80 gr berger vld. please let me know you opinion. i am hoping this gun will last for awhile. worried about the throat in these calibers.

I would think that if you are shooting f class, the 22-243 would burn up barrels too fast-- actually the 22-250 AI would'nt be that much better, but it would help. Both are (to quote George Bush) "Awsome" rounds ;)

Since you already have some brass and probably a good set of bushing dies why not the 22-6.5x47Lapua?

I think a mamber here "eddybo" has one try PMing him and askig how his is working out

Tjohn2001, I would go with the 22BR over the 22-250AI or the 22-243. The 22BR is an awesome round with great brass. All you have to do is neck down the 6BR Lapua brass. The 22BR will allow for super long barrel life and awesome accuracy out to 1000 yards with the 75 and 80grn bullets. With a 28" barrel, you can push the 75 and 80grn bullets at around 3200+fps. Good luck with choice.

the reason that i wanted to build this gun is for hunting. i just konw that when nate (ssg gunsmithing) gets done with it. i could shoot a match with it. i shoot a 6x47 lapua for my f class gun. my father was thinking of shooting an f class and thought that this would be a good low recoil gun for him to try. he has bad shoulder.

i have thought about the 22-6.5x47.then i could use great brass and i could install my badger m5 bottom metal thats tounting me just sittin there. what kind of speed are these things getting. also is the throat going to be any better than the 22-243 or 22-250ai.

I personaly think that the 22-250 Ai is about the maximum effeciency size for the 22 bore , and its likely a bit overbore , after that it takes more and more powder to get smaller and smaller velocity increases. I have heard of some guys shooting 22-243's with 8gr bullets to 3700fps but it was with SMK's , I doubt that the Bergers or the A-max would handel that sort of stress , but Berger is supposed to start using thicker jackets and that would great help.

Heck with the speed and acuracy of the 6x47 Lapua I think I would just stick with that , if your dad has a problem with that recoil just add a couple pounds to the stock and a Sims recoil pad. The 105 A-max or 95gr Berger ought to be able to get pushed to 3300fps out of that case and with the added BC would be a step over the 22 cals all with added barrel life , heck even the 87gr V-max should get you to 1000yds on some praire dogs.

yeah the idea here is that this will be my long range hunting rifle for coyotes.

as for my 6x47 lapua it is throwing 105 bergers at 3212fps. it is an awsome caliber.i would recomend this caliber to anyone wanting a great f class or 6mm gun. the gun that i built on is way to heavy to be carrying into the feild. it is right at 18 lbs. at the last match nate from ssg and i were talking about building a 22 cal that would have the capability to win a f class. thats when i desided to build one. this will be my hunting rifle. i want to shoot the 75 amax or 80 berger and run them about 3300-3400.i also want to get good barrel life out of this caliber.the second thing that this might be used for is shooting an f class.

my father and some friends have asked if they would be able to try and f class. i feel that i am a nice guy but not nice enough to let them shoot my 6x47 lapua.dont take that wrong this is my baby. so this would be a second gun for shooting a match.

besides that when you tell people what you are shooting could you imaging what they would think if i said a 22-250ai. there jaws would drop...

Well if the 22 cal is what you want then i consider a 1-7 twist and shoot the 90gr Berger or the 90gr Sierra Match King , i know a guy in California thats shooting a 22BR with the 90gr Bergers for rabbits and priarie dogs to 1000yds , he has figured his BC for the Bergers launched at 2900-3000fps to be close to .520 and the SMK's to be right at .500 , I've shot the gun to 500yds and its a certainly a 1/2 moa gun probably a bit better once you get settled in to it.

I think that the bigger case could get you to 3300 maybe 3400 FPS , that would be kinda like shooting a 175gr SMK out of a 300RUM balisticaly

I would reccomend the 7 twist if your going to shoot the 90s, but a 8 twist spins up the 80s just fine at higher velocities.

I built a 22-6.5x47 lapua and love it. I shoot the 80s at around 3400 fps with great accuracy. The 80 bergers stay together just fine, but the 80 smks shoot better in my gun for some reason. It is about like a 220 swift with great brass.

If 308Nate is going to do your chamber work I will gladly loan you the reamer if 22-6.5x47 is the route you choose. My reamer was throated for the 90s but works great for the 80s and is no neck turn.

I usually take my retired match brass and neck it down using my redding bushing die. It stilll shoots great despite using old brass. I even shoot the same powder vv560 even though the load is reduced a bit.

I built mine as a sporter weight hunting gun and have a hunting load worked up using 70gr tsx that shoot very well.....and it should work well on local whitetails.

I scoped the throat in mine after 500 rounds and was surprised that it looked like new. I havent tried it in a match but suspect that it would shoot well at least for a while, but that is a lot of fire going down a itty bitty hole.

Good luck with the new build, let me know if you want me to send the reamer to Nate.

eddybo you bring up a great point.

it would be nice to have a use for my other brass. i bought 200 pieces and have weighed them out and am shooing 100 through my match gun.it sounds to me that this would be the best chamber for getting long life out of my throat. and since i already have the brass and i wouldnt need to fire form and AI. i will talk to nate to see what he wants to do about the reamer.

I built a 22-243AI that had no problem getting 3,670 ft/sec with a 75gr A-Max (moly) bullet. With a max charge of RE22 I shot a confirmed group of .625" @ 600 yards. It was devastating on groundhogs out to 1,000 yds, which is the longest shot opportunity I had.

I've heard that most 22-243 (and varients) shoot the 90gr bullets accurately out of 8 twist barrels. I would not get a 7 twist unless I knew it was necessary.

I have one of those Bad Boys 22-250AI

8" twist on a Mike rock 5R SS cut rifled BBL. I have under 500 rnds through it and have already been told I have significant throat erosion. That 22 BR all things considered looks interesting. My BBL is a fast BBL I can shoot 55 gr Nosler BT in front of 44grs of W-W 760 for 3,900+. In fact just last Saturday same load with 55 gr Bergers Match they clocked at 3,985 FPS. But one small problem they didn't make it to the 100 yard line. I'm wondering if Lothar Walthar BBLs will hold up better???????????????????????????

220 Swift?!!!

tjonh2001,
I have a 27" barreled Swift 1-12 and it shoots the 69's very well (wish I had an 9 twist) had to slow them down to group well 3300 fps. The 8 twist will shoot the 75/80's well for you. Norma makes 220 Swift brass.
An ol' timer told me a 9 twist Swift with the 80's is just awesome, I'm sure the 8 would be no different. I run the Nosler BT 55's at 3950 w/N160 and the 69's w/RL-22
It is a great cartridge. Just gotta watch case length.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.