22-250 with 8 Twist Questions

GPR23

Anyone out there with a 1:8 twist 22-250? About to pull the trigger on it, but I'm hesitant. Has anyone fired factory ammo or 53gr V-max out of one?

I'm wondering if the twist rate will be too fast and tear up the jackets? My favorite varmint load is 53 vmax at 3800 fps. Its a great fast, flat shooting round for coyotes, but I'm wondering if that same ammo would work in 1:8 twist barrel?

Well in my case going bigger just puts me into my 25-06 territory?
I only wanted it for varmints nothing bigger not deer.
I'm not ruling it out at all,but I want to play with it a little first.

I've shot 40 grain noslers out of a 1-8" 220 swift Ackley. You will be fine

I have had 2 22-250 custom rifles. One was a 1:9 twist with a 26 inch barrel, It would shoot up to 75g Berger and also shot the 55g V max extremely well. The other was a 1:8 twist 24 inch it also shot the 55 v max as well. Hope this helps.

I currently shoot a 22 BR with a 1:7" twist and have a load for the 80 grain Berger vld that shoots 1 hole groups all day long. I also have a load for the 53 grain hollow point flat base that does the same. I have never had a problem with the lighter bullets. Buy the gun and it will be great.

This is good info. I want the faster twist to shoot the heavy bullets, but wasn't sure if factory v-max ammo would would in it as well. I also have an awesome 53gr vmax round that is very accurate i like shooting Prairie dogs with. Looks like i will get the 8 twist. thanks for the help!

As far as the heavy bullets go, it may not be a bad idea depending on how far you wanna shoot and the conditions. I plan on building a 7.5 twist 22-250 AI to shoot the heavies, but out here I can go to p-dog towns that range from 100 yards, to farther than a person could shoot, as in miles and miles. Also, wind in Wyoming plains can get just plain stupid. So that somewhat necessitates the use of a high bc bullet to cut the wind if you want to make hits on p dogs out to 1000+ yards in 10-15 mph wind. But I used 40 grain v-max pills at 4150 fps out of mine, and inside 400 they were fantastic, and quite violent. Past that....the wind just flat bullied them.

As far as the heavy bullets go, it may not be a bad idea depending on how far you wanna shoot and the conditions. I plan on building a 7.5 twist 22-250 AI to shoot the heavies, but out here I can go to p-dog towns that range from 100 yards, to farther than a person could shoot, as in miles and miles. Also, wind in Wyoming plains can get just plain stupid. So that somewhat necessitates the use of a high bc bullet to cut the wind if you want to make hits on p dogs out to 1000+ yards in 10-15 mph wind. But I used 40 grain v-max pills at 4150 fps out of mine, and inside 400 they were fantastic, and quite violent. Past that....the wind just flat bullied them.
any favorite 22-250 AI recipes you wanna share?

any favorite 22-250 AI recipes you wanna share?
Nope, I don't have one yet....still waiting on funds to put this together. It's going to be a heavy rifle remage system, so I can change torched barrels myself. with the 40 grainer in the standard 22-250, it was just 39.5 grains of varget under a 40 grain v-max. Super accurate, and I torched my barrel with them, but they suck in the wind.

I have a 8 twist and shoot 75gr Berger pills at 3243 which it loves and the pdogs hate. I also shoot 65 SGK in case I want to hunt deer and it shoots them well also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.