22-250 What's it worth

Jchurchwell

I have the chance to buy a 22-250 that has a bell & Carlson stock, Douglas barrel and timney trigger on a Remington 700 action. It has had 150-200 rounds through it. Price is 450 I'm 99 percent sure it's worth it because a factory rifle will cost that much but is there anything I need to look for to make sure nothing is wrong that there not telling me. Thanks Joe.

The action itself is likely worth the cost of admission. As long as you are up for a re-barrel if necessary. Check the bolt face for pitting. Sometimes reloaders like to push the hotter cartridges a bit too hot and will sometimes show pitting from gasses on the bolt face. This may be an indicator of how hard it has been used. Also muzzle wear/condition......YMMV

Although I am not wild about a 22-250, for $450 you can't pass that deal up. A used Rem700 with a cheap factory stock will go for $450. With the B&C stock, the rifle you are looking at is worth $550+

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Between the trued 700 action, the B&C stock and Timney trigger even if I don't like the 22-250 or it needs a rebarrel I won't get hurt on the price. I will post pics after I pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Joe

Just to be safe, after you pick up the rifle, ship it to me for some preliminary testing. If it's good to go, promise I'll ship it right back ;) If it turns out to be a piece of junk, I'll keep it so that you don't have to deal with the disappointment ;)

Rem action $400, Bell and Carlson stock $250ish, timney trigger $125ish, Douglass barrel + install $400.

your cost $450

yea it's worth it even if the barrel is trashed, get a new one Douglass, Shillen $400 w/install, Lilja barrel add another $150.

My gut is telling me that A. somebody doesn't know the potential of what they have. Or B. somethings is a bit off and they don't how to fix it. Or Both:cool:

Careful You say the action has been trued, find out who did it an check him out. Lot of jugheads out there that say they are Gun Smiths that are far from it.

I went and picked it up this evening. I don't believe the owner of the small shop I got it at knows what he had. I found out the name of the guy that built it and talked to him he still had the build sheet on the gun and is a very good local gunsmith. This is what he told me about it.
Was built 3 yrs ago by a guy that had just retired and wanted to shoot groundhog
Douglas #5 match grade barrel 26 long 1-9 twist
Bell & Carlson stock with bi-pod
Timney trigger set at 2lbs
Blueprinted and trued Rem 700 action
Nikon Monarch 4-16-50 scope
He has a test fire target and the load that was used said I could have it if I would come get it. He said it was a 3 shot group less than a half moa at 100. I was told by the owner of the gun store he traded it for a Henry Golden Boy for his grandson. I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for the long post. Joe

Yes I did :D. I ended up trading a Chinese sks and 50 bucks for it. I had 75 in the sks so for 125 I got a **** nice gun. I'm going to check zero and shoot it the way it sets this weekend. gun). Joe

wow sweet deal. What twist bbl? both of mine are slow twist so I shoot the smaller pills 52gr. I love em both though. I have a cz varmint and a ruger varmint as well. That dang CZ with set trigger will run with my benchrest guns using H380 and a 52 flat base. Got that one at a gun show traded for it with a custom 10-22 i picked up from a pawn shop in AL. it will be in my possesion till I die.

It's a 1-9 twist. I'm going to try a couple different loads my father in law already has worked up and see how it shoots. He has some in the 53 vmax and some in a 75 gr that I know of so I'm goin to try those this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.