22-250 vs 6mmBR vx 6.5x47 Lupua

dmax1800

I have the opportunity to have my Remington 700 22-250 accurized or convert it to either a 6mmBR or 6.5x47 Lupua for about the same cost (~$1100). The conversions would have a match grade barrel, timney trigger, Boyds stock bedded, action blue printed and a muzzle brake installed. The gun would be used for coyote and praraire dog hunting as well as target shooting. I've been told by the gunsmith that the 22-250 is good out to 400 yards, the 6mmBR is good to 650 yards and the 6.5x47 is good to 1000 yards.
Which do you think I should go for???
Thanks.

I have the opportunity to have my Remington 700 22-250 accurized or convert it to either a 6mmBR or 6.5x47 Lupua for about the same cost (~$1100). The conversions would have a match grade barrel, timney trigger, Boyds stock bedded, action blue printed and a muzzle brake installed. The gun would be used for coyote and praraire dog hunting as well as target shooting. I've been told by the gunsmith that the 22-250 is good out to 400 yards, the 6mmBR is good to 650 yards and the 6.5x47 is good to 1000 yards.
Which do you think I should go for???
Thanks.

I definitely have a soft spot for the 22-250, but only if you go with a faster twist than the standard 1/14. A 12 twist is a good start, but an 8 or 9 twist will allow you to use heavy bullets that will stretch the range somewhat. If you are going with a new barrel, you might as well go with a fast twist 22-250 AI. I would expect it to perform pretty similarly to a 6mmBR, though the BR would likely have better barrel life.

I don't have any personal experience with the 6mmBR. I do know that it has an excellent reputation for accuracy and long barrel life.

I also really like the 6.5's, although I started with the 6.5x55 and went up from there in case size. The 6.5x47 is going to behave more like a deer cartridge and less like a varmint cartridge in comparison to the others. If you want more reach than the other two, the 6.5x47 would probably make you pretty happy.

All three are good cartridges. I don't believe there is a bad choice among them. It really depends upon which set of characteristics interest you the most.

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy and AccurateShooter.com have cartridge guides for all three cartridges that may be helpful to you in making your decision.

We have as local popping steel at 1200yds you can always shoot it at shorter distances and the 6br would be as close second. I know 22-250's are tack drivers but notorious barrel burners.

gun)6.5X47 lapua all the way!! 1:8 twist barrel, 130gr berger. next choice, stepping it down a hair would be the 6X47 lapua!! good luck with your build.:)

6.5X47 Lapua 123 amax or 123 serria 3000 fps good barrel life and are extremely accurate. also good to shoot deer if you want to it is a more versatile cartridge, it will shoot the 140 bergers @2820 to 2850.
6br also has great barrel life and also extremely accurate 95 bergers @3000 fps not as versatile as the 6.5 lapua.
22-250 also accurate but mainly just a varmint cartridge very accurate but not so good on barrel life
I have shot 1000 yrds with both my 6.5 lapua and my 6 br and both are great shooters but I would go with the 6.5 for its versatility.

opinions are like butts, everybody got one

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.