22/250 varmint rifle?

Thanks, I have 3 Remington 700s but really like Winchester model 70s. I have a 338 Ruger hawkeye that is super accurate but it is in 338 win mag not a varmint round. The Remingtons are all good shooter.

Savage 12BVSS in laminated stock, killer accuracy and trigger is great as well. Shoots groups like in the avatar to the left. Mine likes 50gr V maxes loaded to about 3850fps. Skim bed ($85) and a coil and 1/2 off the accutrigger (Free) was all I did and it's fun to shoot. Try one, You'll be glad you did.......
Guns Savage 12BVSS.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on how much you have to spend. I have quit buying run of the mill production rifles because of the cheap plastic stocks and triggers they use. You could'nt give ma a **** accutrigger. I have a Cooper on order & if it shoots well I will get another one.

As Catahoula said I quit buying production rifles. I've had some pretty accurate ones but most were average hit or miss production guns. I've been shooting a Cooper model 20 22-250 for some 15 years. It started as a reliable .3 moa rifle shooting 52 grain bullets. New barrel is an 8 twist and reliable half moa gun shooting 75 gr ELD-M's. They've been death on marmots out past 700 yds and prairie dogs past 1100. I've had 5 Cooper's and all shot at least half moa. Have another in 6 Creed coming.

This is an interesting thread, the OP asks about a 22-250 varmint rifle. As you would expect there are all kinds of opinions and suggestions made. I figured there would be a few savage, cz, tikka, and remington shooters post, their guns are around a $1000 (savage for sure don't know what the other's sell for) and will usually shoot quarter inch or better if you handload. Mine I put less than a hundred dollars into, mounted a scope, it will shoot ones no problem with little effort. I guess if you just want to spend more and not shoot a production rifle that's certainly a valid option, but I don't believe you will see better accuracy. The OP has gotten good suggestions for sure, but there truly is a best bang for your buck in varmint rifles and its production gun's.

A post on sporter rifles would be a more valid comparison between production and custom rifles. I use nothing but the action on sporter production rifles I put together for accuracy.

Last edited:
I have yet to see production rifles of any brand that usually shoot anywhere close to quarter inch out of the box. We run across them but it's a crap shoot. Reading on this forum one might get the impression everyone has a factory gun that routinely shoots like a custom bench rest rifle. They're out there, but IMO they're the exception. I get revved shooting varmints at long range and a rifle that won't shoot a minimum of half moa is unsuitable. I've only got that accuracy regularly from custom and Cooper rifles.

I have yet to see production rifles of any brand that usually shoot anywhere close to quarter inch out of the box. We run across them but it's a crap shoot. Reading on this forum one might get the impression everyone has a factory gun that routinely shoots like a custom bench rest rifle. They're out there, but IMO they're the exception. I get revved shooting varmints at long range and a rifle that won't shoot a minimum of half moa is unsuitable. I've only got that accuracy regularly from custom and Cooper rifles.
Well you sure must think a half MOA is the benchmark but most shooter's on this forum strive for that or better accuracy. If any savage I buy or assemble don't shoot under 1/2" it gets worked on till it does, five guns later still holding true. Nothing wrong with custom rifles or coopers at all, but my point is and remain's you don't need to look down on production rifles. In varmint trim 1/2" can be bettered with many brands, I named a few above. My 12BVSS cost a bedding job to shoot way better than 1/2", don't believe it or not, it still does it and it's all factory part's. I didn't question any of your accuracy and distance shooting statements.......so why are you questioning my production rifle? :)

Last edited:
Friend from your description I wouldn't call your rifles production. They sound like carefully assembled and modified production guns. I've had a few of these myself that were real shooters. Half minute is my personal minimum for varmint rifles. I strive for quarter moa but it's a exceptional gun, and shooter, that can approach that reliably. I've had 3 that shot in that neighborhood but I couldn't do it every outing.

OK I'll state this once more for ya, the gun pictured in my post above is 100% stock with a skim bed and accutrigger trim. That's it and its the best shooting savage I own, avatar is from it. My other savages are sporter rifles and yes they get a full going over to equal my accuracy desire. Everyone acknowledges that savage varmint and target guns shoot well, sometimes without any mods, including F Class guns. This is a varmint thread and I'm speaking about my varmint gun. Good Shooting

I have a semi custom built on a Wby Vanguard action 12"cut rifled bbl and timney custom trigger . Its a tack driver now. But if I bought another 22/250 it would be a Bergara HMR or their premier series. They have a 9"twist . I have their Premier ridge back in 6.5 PRC and it easily shoots under a 1/2 MOA and that's with me doing nothing to the rifle.

<snip> I could hit the groundhogs with the 75's but it woudln't kill them esp. at the longer ranges.... depending on your quarry I would caution the use of the 75's... super accurate.... not quite as terminal as a varmint bullet... but hey... they're not designed to be a varmint bullet. <snip>
Hope this helps. Sam

I agree - I tried one 9" with 75's and went back to 12" and 14" twists with fragile bullets - the 75 and 80 grain bullets suck on groundhogs out far, and they are no advantage in the wind.

Well, I'll jump in here. Got Savages (3) and Coopers (3). IMHO, a Cooper, for all intents and purposes, is a semi-custom "production" rifle. I really like them and mine shoot very well. That said, they are not without their idiosyncrasies. The triggers are finiky to adjust and at least 2 of mine varied +/- 8 oz., until I had them taken care of. My next Cooper will have a Jewel or a Jard upgrade in it right out of the gate, if I get another one.

As far as Savages are concerned, I have absolutely no complaints. Accutriggers are far from glamorous, but IMHO have a reliability and functionality about them that lends to great shooting. Attached is a pic of a 6.5-284 from the Savage Custom Shop and the accuracy it is capable of with a standard Accutrigger.

Anyway, my contribution to this 12 year old thread is that you can still get a production 1/4 minute shooter out of the box if you are a handloader. Odds for this go up If you buy a good Savage with an Accutrigger. That said, if I was in the market for a .22-250 right now it would be a Sako 85 Varmint stainless laminate with a set trigger😁!!

Attachments

• 8AC53E1C-4174-4FF4-AEC7-D92CFEE617B3.jpeg
    8AC53E1C-4174-4FF4-AEC7-D92CFEE617B3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • A016E8E3-0637-4B60-AC9A-5D01C0D6AC57.jpeg
    A016E8E3-0637-4B60-AC9A-5D01C0D6AC57.jpeg
    935.1 KB · Views: 124
Would like to post a few pics here but too much monkeying around. Shot a couple nice groups with the Cooper last week. A .282 moa at 1108 yards and a .138 at 200. If anyone cares to post them I'll gladly email to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.