22-250 twist rate

I'm looking at shooting 70-75gr bullets and wondering if I need to have a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. Will the stardard 1:14 work?

Thoughts Please

I recommend you go with no less than an 8" twist with the heavies. That being said, a fast twist 22-250 is absolutely my favorite barrel. For reasons I am not certain of, it is just easier to hit with than any other combination I have tried. It doesn't make much sense really. My 6.5x47 theoretically destroys the 22-250 in the wind. My 75gr Amaxes at 3240ish drift about like 185gr classic hunters from my .308, which these days, is not that impressive. I don't know... what I do know is when I point a 75gr Amax at stuff near or far, I'm more likely to get a hit than with my other barrels. Here's 5 shots at 710 yards.

John

tjrM4g.jpg

Tracyes23 I lied ,actually I have shot the 53gr V-max and they shot well.In fact blew Montana Prairie dogs up quite nicely.I'm concerned about bbl life with those little devils.... Main bullet I shoot is the 77gr Sierra TMK, with 37.5grs of Re#19 I get 3300 FPS (26" bbl) and the MT prairie dogs don't like those either.
The faster twist rate spins the bullet faster & if you're comparing a 16"-20" barrel & shooting .223 or 5.56 rounds against a 22-250 with a 1:8 twist and a 26 inch barrel it will spin a bullet about as fast as a 1:7 twist in a shorter 16-20 inch barrel shooting at a lower velocity. On top of that, the 26 inch barrel has the advantage of shooting flatter over the same yardage. Burns barrels up faster tho!:) I keep it cool by shooting at a rate of 1 shoot every 2-3 minutes.

Last edited:
View attachment 90482 View attachment 90483 Just today shooting at Full Soda pop cans at 331 yards with Sierra 90gr HPBT . Rifle has a 26"Brux 8"twist bbl. Box of bullets said it needed a 6.5"-7"twist bbl. Not true.
I suspect Sierra was covering their bases by considering a shorter barrel which shoots at a lower velocity doesn't spin a bullet as fast as a 26 inch barreled 22-250. Bullet RPM which is directly tied to velocity does make a difference.

Velocity does make a difference, but that difference is very slight. A 500 fps difference will change the stability factor by about .07-- nowhere near enough to materially change the required twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.