22-250 Turkey Bullet

55 gr Sierra BTHP. I've lost count of the number of turkeys I've taken here in Texas with it since 1982. Quit using a shotgun after killing 3 birds with 1 shot two consecutive years. Neither time was I trying to do anything but kill a single bird. I've never had a double kill with the 22-250. Savage 110V, early 1980's vintage with 26" barrel and a Tasco 10X fixed on it. Don't laugh, it's also killed 1,000s of prairie dogs. Same rifle, same scope, same load, same odd duck behind the trigger! Has my longest kill ever on a prairie dog at 450 yards and more deer and speed goats than I care to process.

Look at one of the pointed sierras or maybe a nosier rdf. Heaviest you can shoot for your twist. Even with high velocity I doubt a pointed hollow point would expand much with the body weight of a turkey. I have no doubt it would still die without expansion. Shot one at 220 yards with a Wolf 100gr FMJ out of my 6.5 Grendel. Pretty good on the grill that afternoon.

55 gr Sierra BTHP. I've lost count of the number of turkeys I've taken here in Texas with it since 1982. Quit using a shotgun after killing 3 birds with 1 shot two consecutive years. Neither time was I trying to do anything but kill a single bird. I've never had a double kill with the 22-250. Savage 110V, early 1980's vintage with 26" barrel and a Tasco 10X fixed on it. Don't laugh, it's also killed 1,000s of prairie dogs. Same rifle, same scope, same load, same odd duck behind the trigger! Has my longest kill ever on a prairie dog at 450 yards and more deer and speed goats than I care to process.
Hi TexSavage, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a speed goat?
I am in Australia, and it's a term l have never heard of before,
Regards
Graham 🐢

Hi TexSavage, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a speed goat?
I am in Australia, and it's a term l have never heard of before,
Regards
Graham 🐢
Turtle556, Yep Pronghorn antelope. Thanks TXPhred. Funny thing about slang terms. Living in the panhandle of Texas I have always called prairie dogs, prairie dogs. Two years ago we get a new baseball stadium and a minor league team. Have a contest for naming the team. Someone enters the name Sod Poodles. I say what the heck's a sod poodle. Had never heard the term. Figured some city slicker from a big metropolitan place had entered it. Nope, just a local yocal. Now over the last year I see folks on LRH using it. Man, I gotta get out more…… and shot some prairie sod dog poodles. I'm sure you fellas from Aussie Land have a few as well. Love them crocs you have, dang they eat good. Like the barramundi also!!

I'm looking at doing some longer range turkey hunting this spring with my 22-250. Anyone suggest a bullet that won't disintegrate and would go though a turkey, vs something that is going to blow a large hole through the bird.
Sierra 55gr fmj is what I use. Pokes a pencil sized hole

Turtle556, Yep Pronghorn antelope. Thanks TXPhred. Funny thing about slang terms. Living in the panhandle of Texas I have always called prairie dogs, prairie dogs. Two years ago we get a new baseball stadium and a minor league team. Have a contest for naming the team. Someone enters the name Sod Poodles. I say what the heck's a sod poodle. Had never heard the term. Figured some city slicker from a big metropolitan place had entered it. Nope, just a local yocal. Now over the last year I see folks on LRH using it. Man, I gotta get out more…… and shot some prairie sod dog poodles. I'm sure you fellas from Aussie Land have a few as well. Love them crocs you have, dang they eat good. Like the barramundi also!!
Hi Txs, Thanks for the update, and yes, we got a few, l actually live in croc and Barra country, probably 300 feet from the river full of both, often referred to crocs as long tailed short legged dogs, because they are so common and the greenies have protected them, still good eating though, just don't ask how l know, also hunt and eat lots of Roos, we go West to get them in large numbers, l mainly use an Anschutz 222 for Roos, 303-25 & 243 for pigs, dingos and goats, am building a full custom 7mm rem mag for brumbies and camels and hopefully water buffaloes.
Best regards from North Queensland happy hunting & "keep the barstards guessing".
🐢

Hi Txs, Thanks for the update, and yes, we got a few, l actually live in croc and Barra country, probably 300 feet from the river full of both, often referred to crocs as long tailed short legged dogs, because they are so common and the greenies have protected them, still good eating though, just don't ask how l know, also hunt and eat lots of Roos, we go West to get them in large numbers, l mainly use an Anschutz 222 for Roos, 303-25 & 243 for pigs, dingos and goats, am building a full custom 7mm rem mag for brumbies and camels and hopefully water buffaloes.
Best regards from North Queensland happy hunting & "keep the barstards guessing".
🐢
Yeah I spent about two weeks in Cairns about 4 years ago. Went to Hartley's. I was always fascinated with Crocs since I was about 6, so it was a fulfillment of a dream come true. Had a daughter and son-in-law there, with 3 grandkids. Grandpa and Grandma had, I mean had to go visit. Would love a croc hunt! Good luck, keep yer powder dry and your aim true!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.