22-250 Turkey Bullet

Triple BB

I'm looking at doing some longer range turkey hunting this spring with my 22-250. Anyone suggest a bullet that won't disintegrate and would go though a turkey, vs something that is going to blow a large hole through the bird.

I'm thinking full metal jacket for any body shots.

Head shots? Bullet won't matter one way or the other. Any accurate bullet.

Usually I get one crack at these birds before they run onto the neighbors place where I don't have permission. It's always a body shot. A 200 or 300 yard moving target would be a difficult head shot. Full metal jacket is probably what I'm after...

I've shot turkeys with a 222, 223 or 22-250 over the years during the fall turkey season in Oklahoma. I use the Hornady 55 grain soft points, the ones with the cannelure ring, with excellent results. Body shots, with the wing butt as the aiming point, takes out the spine and puts them down instantly without destroying the breasts. I've taken them from 40 yards out to 286 yards with the same results.

I'm looking at doing some longer range turkey hunting this spring with my 22-250. Anyone suggest a bullet that won't disintegrate and would go though a turkey, vs something that is going to blow a large hole through the bird.
I'm quite happy with Speer tnt hollow points 50 grain. I expected by the name that they would disintegrate at 3800 FPS or so. I have recovered perfect mushrooms from 100 to nearly 500 yards. When they do exit it's usually a nickel sized hole. The pictured bullet was recovered from the opposite side of a whitetail doe shot at 479 yards. They seem to act more like speers deep curl or gold dot bullet!

Attachments

• 46D5E9B4-B9C7-4BEC-B2C3-A19674158B03.jpeg
    46D5E9B4-B9C7-4BEC-B2C3-A19674158B03.jpeg
    530.3 KB · Views: 173
Killed my turkey at 114 yards with the 65 grain gameking from my ar. It worked great. Just shot it at the base of the neck so no breast damage. Not sure how a body shot would have done, but I assume it would have still worked great.

I've shot turkeys with a 222, 223 or 22-250 over the years during the fall turkey season in Oklahoma. I use the Hornady 55 grain soft points, the ones with the cannelure ring, with excellent results. Body shots, with the wing butt as the aiming point, takes out the spine and puts them down instantly without destroying the breasts. I've taken them from 40 yards out to 286 yards with the same results.
I can second this. I use the same 55 gr. Hornady SP bullet in a 223 AR with a velocity of a little over 3100 fps and it works well. Usually drops them where they stand and usually doesn't damage any breast meat if I wait for a broadside shot through the wing.

I've been turkey hunting since I was a kid with my 22-250. My old 26 inch barrel 14 twist really liked the 55 gr fmj BT. Back then I used 4064 and 4320. Now with modern powders CFE 223 and Big Game works very well.

I usually just do body shots on the Toms out fanning in open fields. Like the above post the lower back is good shot placement as is the lower neck on frontal shots. LRH hunting. I have played with some of the 62 gr fmj bt because of the higher BC at the range out to 600 yards. Windy days it has some advantage if you are shooting 300+ yards. If I ever rebarrel it would be another 26 inch with 9:1 or possibly 12:1 twist.

The FMJ just puts a 22 cal hole straight through with very little damage. I have also used 243 and 270 win with hard copper bullets that don't expand. I have the tall Harris bypods and just sit up on some hill side. Texas was always stands and feeders out to 600. The leased land has an area of 100-600 yard feeders for turkeys and hogs

Killed my turkey at 114 yards with the 65 grain gameking from my ar. It worked great. Just shot it at the base of the neck so no breast damage. Not sure how a body shot would have done, but I assume it would have still worked great.
I shot a turkey in the thigh once with my 22-250, 30 plus years ago, aiming for the butt end. Hit thigh bone almost complete lost. No thigh either side. Also took out 1/4 of left breast and all of the right one. Just Devastating stuck with lower neck with 22-250 from then on.

Shot this hog yesterday afternoon. 65 grain Sierra gameking out of my 22-6mm. great bullet. Neck shot and a bloody mess. My blue healer hates hogs.

Attachments

• 20210113_180138.jpg
    20210113_180138.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 135
what is the twist rate I would look at a mono bullet to keep from tearing the bird up to much

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.