22-250 shooting 75 gr Berger’s and 50 vmax

With factory Hornady super performance 22-250 50 gr V-max coming out of my Remington 700 with a 1:7.5 25 inch barrel I'm getting a bit over 3800 fps and can pound my 300 yard plate all day. I haven't put them on paper out there but on steel looks to be 1 1/2 inch groups or less.

Years ago I re-chambered a new 9 twist 223 Rem barrel to 22-250 to shoot the Sierra 65 grain Gameking (#1395). It is about middle of the road for what you want to do. Tough little bullet. Killed quite a few deer and g'hogs with it. I didn't find a need to switch back and forth between bullets. With W760 powder, and a WLR primer it gives good accuracy and velocity. I picked up some Sta-ball powder and am going to test that this weekend. Now that barrel is almost at the end of it's life and when it is time, I think I'm going to switch it over to a 243 Win with an 8 twist to shoot the 55-95 grain bullets. More horsepower and capability of higher B.C.'s and with the 55's........really fast.........of course with the loss of some barrel life. Might be some things for you to check in to and consider.

I am putting a new Krieger on my 22-250. This is a primary coyote gun and fur friendly is important.
Here are my questions...I am thinking an 8 twist to shoot the 75-80 bullets for late season when they start hanging up in that 400-700 range, however I would like to be able to shoot 50 vmax most of the time to minimize fur sewing.

Will the 8 twist over spin the 50 vmax?
If it is throated for 75 vld's will the free bore be too much for the little 50's?

It will be a 20" barrel to make room for the TBAC 9 that is almost out of jail. I realize the POI will be different between the 2 bullets.

Please don't chime in and tell me to chamber a 6.5 something (whatever the new shiny object is) it will be 22-250.
Thanks
I have shot both bullets (75 grain Berger and 50 Vmax) out of my 8 twist 22-250 with a 24 inch barrel for many, many years with excellent results. No, I do not believe the 8 twist over spins the 50's. With the 75 Berger, I have shot deer, antelope, coyotes as well as several other species of varmints with excellent results. You will not be disappointed with either of these bullets. But another bullet that is perhaps my favorite in the 8 twist for the same usage as the 50 is the 53 grain Vmax. I have several thousand of both the 50 and 53 sitting on the shelf in my reloading room and if I had to choose one of then to shoot, it would be hands down the 53.

I know my 22-250 1:14 shoots the 50 v max Superformance Ammo 1" groups at 200 yards. It's a tack driver. But I wish I had a faster twist rate also for heavier bullets.

Years ago I re-chambered a new 9 twist 223 Rem barrel to 22-250 to shoot the Sierra 65 grain Gameking (#1395). It is about middle of the road for what you want to do. Tough little bullet. Killed quite a few deer and g'hogs with it. I didn't find a need to switch back and forth between bullets. With W760 powder, and a WLR primer it gives good accuracy and velocity. I picked up some Sta-ball powder and am going to test that this weekend. Now that barrel is almost at the end of it's life and when it is time, I think I'm going to switch it over to a 243 Win with an 8 twist to shoot the 55-95 grain bullets. More horsepower and capability of higher B.C.'s and with the 55's........really fast.........of course with the loss of some barrel life. Might be some things for you to check in to and consider.

I'm wrapping up testing with the new 64 grain tipped game king. Hoping for a do all bullet. I'm running it at 3250 hoping it will survive that speed. My ladder test topped out at 3350 with no pressure signs. I feel the 1.2 inches at 300 and reduced load will serve me really well.

I now have a 6 dasher for banging steel and long range fun. Its a large heavy rifle but will likely make it to the stand once or twice.

Sorry for the derail.

"Now that barrel is almost at the end of its life...." As a fan of the .22-250 I've always an interest in barrel life. I'm amazed how it varies according to shooting preferences, habits, etc. May I ask about how many rounds you've put through that barrel? Thanks!

"Now that barrel is almost at the end of its life...." As a fan of the .22-250 I've always an interest in barrel life. I'm amazed how it varies according to shooting preferences, habits, etc. May I ask about how many rounds you've put through that barrel? Thanks!
Just about 2000.....and none of them were mild, except a few for load work up.

Your 20 inch 1:8 would be able to shoot 50's only if down loaded to not exceed the pills max fpm. on the other end 80's will be fine, but the 20 inch is limiting factor for slower powders. Personally I did some research like the other poster said. I have a 26 inch 1:9. Years ago I loaded up some 50 gr HP and they splatter paper with fragments. Down loaded they were fine. 22-250 has enough HP compared to smaller cas 22's that you have to be careful

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.