22-250 shooting 75 gr Berger’s and 50 vmax

Idaho Sawyer

I am putting a new Krieger on my 22-250. This is a primary coyote gun and fur friendly is important.
Here are my questions...I am thinking an 8 twist to shoot the 75-80 bullets for late season when they start hanging up in that 400-700 range, however I would like to be able to shoot 50 vmax most of the time to minimize fur sewing.

Will the 8 twist over spin the 50 vmax?
If it is throated for 75 vld’s will the free bore be too much for the little 50’s?

It will be a 20” barrel to make room for the TBAC 9 that is almost out of jail. I realize the POI will be different between the 2 bullets.

Please don’t chime in and tell me to chamber a 6.5 something (whatever the new shiny object is) it will be 22-250.
Thanks

sable tireur

Have you shot the 80 grain VLDs yet in a 1:8" twist? If not, I suggest that you find some velocities for this bullet then run it through the Berger Stability calculator. Your 20" barrel is a limiting factor. You also need to decide on how to handle the free bore and throat before just buying a reamer.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Just cut

I run 75 grn eldm and 53 grn v max out of my 22 Grendel. It has a 7.5 twist Bartlien, both bullets work great.

d11r529

I have an 1X7.5 twist 25 inch barrel on my 22-250 and have only shot one coyote so far. The eld was not fur friendly, 37? yards and the exit was at least baseball sized. I have some 75 gr HPBT's loaded up but haven't gotten a coyote to play yet. Many years ago I used 55 Sierra 55 HPBT's and felt that it was the best save the fur 22-250 bullet that I ever tried, I'm working up a load with them now for this fall.

Radman

I am putting a new Krieger on my 22-250. This is a primary coyote gun and fur friendly is important.
Here are my questions...I am thinking an 8 twist to shoot the 75-80 bullets for late season when they start hanging up in that 400-700 range, however I would like to be able to shoot 50 vmax most of the time to minimize fur sewing.

Will the 8 twist over spin the 50 vmax?
If it is throated for 75 vld’s will the free bore be too much for the little 50’s?

It will be a 20” barrel to make room for the TBAC 9 that is almost out of jail. I realize the POI will be different between the 2 bullets.

Please don’t chime in and tell me to chamber a 6.5 something (whatever the new shiny object is) it will be 22-250.
Thanks
In My Experiences: 1:12 for 50 grain, faster twist for heavier bullets.

ScottB338

I was just talking to a friend of mine about this this morning, as I am contemplating the purchase of a Tikka 22/250 with a 1:8 twist. I have a pile of the 50 gr V-Max bullets that I want to use. I'm not concerned with long range (under 500yds for me), I just want to make sure of no ricochets.

Not sure how the longer throat will affect it, but will the 50 grainers hold together pushed fast in that 1:8 twist?

I'd also really like to know from someone who has tried it.

Radman

I was just talking to a friend of mine about this this morning, as I am contemplating the purchase of a Tikka 22/250 with a 1:8 twist. I have a pile of the 50 gr V-Max bullets that I want to use. I'm not concerned with long range (under 500yds for me), I just want to make sure of no ricochets.

Not sure how the longer throat will affect it, but will the 50 grainers hold together pushed fast in that 1:8 twist?

I'd also really like to know from someone who has tried it.
A family member uses a 1:8. (I only use 1:12 for target/50 grn) He came off his heavier ammo to shoot some of mine & he was all over the place.

Slick8

As said above I've done 55-80 out of my 1:8 22-250Ai.

Unless you don't want to buy new dies, id strongly encourage you to look at the 22 creed or 22-250Ai.

I'm running mine suppressed in a 22 inch barrel and its a real wake up especially with the heavies.

eshorebwhntr

That's the point I was trying to get him to see by using the calculator.:(

I don't think he's questioning stability on the Berger. I think he's concerned that @ 22-250 speeds on the V-max the fast twist will mess up the jacket and the bullet will explode before reaching the target.

From what little experience I have I think the vmax will survive. It also seems to be tolerant to jump if you throat it long for the Berger.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.