22-250 Remington to 6mm Rem.?

earl1704

Have a 22-250 rem. model 700, 1:14 twist, had planned to rebarrel for 1:7 or 1:8 twist for accuracy and long range shooting 95% of the time at coyotes, 5% time/chance at a wolf. Currently shoot a 55 gr. V-max.
55 gr. V-max not large enough for wolves (general opinion).
Looking at available bullets for a rebarreled 22-250 V-max only goes to a 60 gr. (V-max is my prefered bullet) so no advantage for wolves.
Hollow points (my experience) blow a hole in the side of coyotes low penetration ruin hide and they general bleed to death instead of instant death which is why I went to V-max.
Should I if possible go to a 6mm rem barrel where I can use a 85 gr Interbond or 87gr V-max? 85 gr should be large enough bullet for wolves.
In areas of Idaho I hunt coyotes that come into 4-5-6 hundred yards sit down and watch without coming in. Love to be able to hit them at that range but have a 1' MOA rifle with wind (which is most of the time) not great at hitting them.
Up the barrel to 6mm?
Thanks for any input or other ways to think about this...................Earl

morning, 22-250AI, 1-8twist, or 243AI. I have both. the 22-250AI. 70gr
rem. green tips, 243AI 1-10. 77gr. Lapua Scenear. both r instant killers.
boom drop. TUM

I've had excellent luck at using 168 amax bullets on coyotes from 50 yds to 600 yds with my 308. 1" hole every time and it knocks them dead.
That said, look at the eldm line, like an 80gr eldm for a fast 22-250, that would get u out to 600 yds killing coyotes.
But over that I would consider a 1:7 twist 6mm like the 6xc or 6mm creedmoor for simplicity and use 108 eldms.
Because of coyotes sitting down is why I bought my 308 to begin. Now I can get them, but a 6.5 or 6 has the advantage over a 308.

A guy near me who does predation work uses a 22-243 middlestead as his main coyote gun.

I've taken two guns lots too, my 22-250 if they run in fast and if they sit down, one of my lr rigs...even taken my 300wby, but one gun can do it all

Last edited:
A 6mm will be frustrating in a short action, I suppose if you ONLY load the 87 grain pills and nothing else, you might be ok, or you could put a wyatts extended mag box or an AICS dbm and have a little more room, but you will be very limited in bullet choice....100 grain or less most likely. a .243 or .243 AI would be a better option, and also you would have better brass availability.

You've set yourself hard goals 1) Fur friendly coyote loads, 2) Tagging a wolf 3) Feeding a 6mm Remington.

Brass isn't impossible, was very difficult for a while. Either folks quit looking or it's only difficult. Hornady had a release. I like mine but when shot out it won't be re-barreled in a 6mm Remington.

The newer mono-metal type bullets, may be the solution for either cartridge. I hope to have a chance to test that this winter myself.

look at the 22-250AI necked upto 6mm. It'll do an honest 3100fps with the 105AMAX, and is also very accurate. Mine shoots .250" five shot groups with the 105 in a 1:8 twist barrel. PACNOR sells prefit barrels, and others do as well. Shoots very well with Retumbo or H1000 and the 105AMAX or 107 Sierra. The loaded round fit all short action magazines effortlessly. Case life is very good. The down side is barrel life. About as good as the .243, and that isn't exactly good.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.