22-250 rem

should I send the gun back to manufacture?

• yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • live with it

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • "?"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clark6898

I'm new here,but not to the world. I have been to many sites,forums,and other discussion groups. looking for,what I now think,a hens tooth. I purchased a 22-250,I have an 223,and a 243, just trying to fill the gap in my old age. I got there before the baby boomers. Back to my point. Since manufactures think that lengthen the freebore , you can shoot longer and heavier bullets,which anybody knows is BS. In this forum is there someone who can give me a prospective of what I'm looking as to jump,leade to contact of rifling? My o-give is 2.104 55gr nosler . Coal. 2.438. Saami. says 2.350 Max. In these forums, I have seen , mine is 2.511. I have seen no jump or .45 to what ever. this a new rifle, 1x14,.nothing fired thru barrel. At this time I'm looking for someone who has overcome this problem. as it stands my jump is about .090 .seating becomes a serious problem in more ways than one. the gun is being bedded and I'm at the point, the rifle was cleaned before any measurements were taken ,my D.I. said ok.,of sending it back to the unemployed rocket scientist,or marketing expert that came up with this idea. It all leads to barrel erosion. I'm on an fixed income so don't tell me to send it here, they will fix it for $400. I paid $500.00 for the gun, yes they had in stock 3.5 years. I thank you for any serious input . clark6898.

not sure what your saying, i think it's that your bullet jump is longer than you think it should be. I can only speak for my 22-250, i have no idea what my bullet jump is it's that long, it friggin drives tacks though, so i just don't worry about it. find a load your riffle likes and leave it alone, and don't waste time trying to make it shoot a bullet it won't shoot. gun)

Many of the 22-250's prefer flat based projectiles. I went through a lot of boat tail development before I found that tid bit out with my 22-250 remy 700. Then it started shooting great. Most bullets did require jump to reach its potential for accuracy. And with Bergers, I have a 6.5-06AI that likes an excessive jump(.150) but drives tacks.

With a 14 twist the 55grn nosler should be the heaviest you shoot, 40 and 50grn noslers and vmaxs will likely shoot the best. In my 22-250 I can't touch the lands and have enough bullet left in the case to secure it so I set 55 nosler vmg tipped flat base bullets at 2.355" or over a 1/4" of jump, with these type of varmint bullets, when I see .2-.4" 5 shot groups I'm not even close to being concerned how far its jumping.

With a 14 twist the 55grn nosler should be the heaviest you shoot, 40 and 50grn noslers and vmaxs will likely shoot the best. In my 22-250 I can't touch the lands and have enough bullet left in the case to secure it so I set 55 nosler vmg tipped flat base bullets at 2.355" or over a 1/4" of jump, with these type of varmint bullets, when I see .2-.4" 5 shot groups I'm not even close to being concerned how far its jumping.

+1 thats me too, ironically the most accurate bullet I've shot out of it shouldn't stabilize at all. 53gr Vmax with a 1 in 14 twist barrel. yea just go with it if it's gonna give it to you.

To Joe King, Aldon and backwoods83

I thank you very much for your replies. You hit the tack right on the head. I was looking for a jump distance, and seating COAL. that someone else was using with success, so as to be sure what I was thinking was correct. You'll answered any question that I have, except, what is the smallest bullet you can load without blow by before the bullet seals the barrel? I had already discounted B.T. bullets due to the freebore. again I thank you'll. :)

The 40grn nosler bts and 40grn hornady vmaxs work great, and mine is a 12 twist, it still shoots 1/4" groups with them just under 4300fps.

then what your saying is that the 40 gr, even being a B.T. , still has enough bullet in the case to stop blow-by before sealing in the barrel. I do not know the measurements of this round. but with the 55gr nosler I still have a little over 9/64's of the bullet in the case on contact of lands. Using the info that you'll gave me I'll go with 0.050 jump. that will leave 5/32'' in case on engagement of the lands. I have two cases fired from this rifle, the gun smith did it so as I could work on reloading,the min. head space is 1.5749 SAAMI. these fire form are 1.5705 & 1.571. this is a tight chamber. so what I see, is that I can have a lot of fun with my 700 ADL. the short action works with a .243 . I can't get a 22-250 that COAL I thank you backwoods83 I still look for the days when no matter who made it they were the same, I can't handle the P.C., t-ball,B.S. there was a day,but now I have to look back to see it. I'm in Va.

The 22-250 is designed to shoot with a mile of jump, no need to seat .050" off the lands, you won't gain anything with the bullets you will be using if you seat them at or around saami length. The only one I seat out farther is the 53grn vmax, which may or may not stabilize in a 14 twist rifle, it really depends on how accurate the factory got the twist rate. I load those at 2.4", but they are a different design than the others. You should get a box of 40grn noslers it bt and flat base and 55grn bt and flat base as well and a box of 40grn and 50grn vmaxs and try them all but I say the best results will be had with 40grn nosler bt's over 35.5grns RE10x or 39grns of 8208xbr at saami oal or the next best may be the 55grn nosler varmaggedon tipped flat base over 36.5grns of Imr4064 or Varget at 2.355-2.365". The 40s will run about 4280fps and the 55s at about 3740fps.

Shoot it and throw way the calipers. Most people are far more concerned with bullet jump than they need be. Accuracy is king.
I've shot in the .3"s at 100 with a rifle with a 1/2" jump to the rifling and it killed it's furthest deer at over 700 yards out of sitting position free-hand. Hell, it did a deer in trotting in a cross wind at over 600 yards the evening before.

Being from N.D. I would believe you know difference in size of a P.D. and a deer. I would think you'd know the accuracy needed to hit a P.D. at 600 to 700 yds. this takes in wind, drop,temp,alt, and some say humidity. But who am I, they're in the 1500 yd. club. I'm not, but I'm getting closer with their advice. AND if you can do so well from the sitting position, maybe you should try out for Camp Perry shoot. Now I know I've ruffled your feathers , but back in the early 70's I blow the head space off so bad that you could not fire a factory round in rifle. That was in 1976 Remington gave me a new barrel. About 8 years ago I changed that barrel. Lets see, I got four years out of barrel and then paying attention to the little things you get 30 years,a lot of rounds thru the barrel. Oh by the way it's a 700 , the new barrel is a #7 Douglas air gauged. this is still the same old 700 action. so in closing If you take care of it,you don't have to put .50 cents in a coffee can every time you shoot,so as you can afford to buy new stuff.gun)

Being from N.D. I would believe you know difference in size of a P.D. and a deer. I would think you'd know the accuracy needed to hit a P.D. at 600 to 700 yds. this takes in wind, drop,temp,alt, and some say humidity. But who am I, they're in the 1500 yd. club. I'm not, but I'm getting closer with their advice. AND if you can do so well from the sitting position, maybe you should try out for Camp Perry shoot. Now I know I've ruffled your feathers , but back in the early 70's I blow the head space off so bad that you could not fire a factory round in rifle. That was in 1976 Remington gave me a new barrel. About 8 years ago I changed that barrel. Lets see, I got four years out of barrel and then paying attention to the little things you get 30 years,a lot of rounds thru the barrel. Oh by the way it's a 700 , the new barrel is a #7 Douglas air gauged. this is still the same old 700 action. so in closing If you take care of it,you don't have to put .50 cents in a coffee can every time you shoot,so as you can afford to buy new stuff.gun)
If you don't want someone's opinion don't ask. There is absolutely nothing wrong with freebore as long as it shoots good groups. To think otherwise is very foolish. I never got a chance to tell you about the 243 pistol(striker) that had an inch of freebore (because I shot the dang thing out on prarie dogs) but was still killing prarie rats at 300 yards and change. You seen to know everything so I'll delete my subscription to this thread and let you mutter in the corner to yourself.

As far as shooting competition, I shot some small-bore(22 cal) match many moons ago, but tired of it quickly as people get bitchy when you beat them with their whiz-bang high dollar crap and you are using a borrowed house rifle.

It doesn't matter about freebore with varmint style bullets, (tangent ogive) they except jump quite well. And for the record I'm not taking leftys side, but if I were PD hunting at 600+ yards I "wouldn't" be using a 14 twist 22-250, I would build a 22-250AI with an 8 twist for 80grn vlds or 80.5grn fullbores, or if barrel life and heat were a concern a good ole 8 or 10 twist 6br with 87grn vmaxs or 95grn bergers over cfe223, varget, or H4895 can't be beat. My lowly little 6br shoots under 2" at 600yrds most of the time with 105 vlds, if it doesn't its me.

backwoods83 joe k aldon Now you know why I wasn't right to the point when I did my first post , if you read the last person's post. In my first post I never said what type of rifle it was. I knew that the nations would be all over me, the Savage, Mossberg,Ruger, and who ever they think is best. and nobody would get down to the nuts and bolts. If you read my retort to 700stw I know I ruffle his feathers , no I.m not sorry. I screwed up a lot in my early years,now I take nothing granted. My friends use to say you're about as loud as a wall falling down . I want to know when I walk into that last lea , I did everything right.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.