22-250 Rem SPS 700 Loads

Landon

I bought a 22-250 Rem SPS 700 a few months ago and can't get a decent shot group, they are all like 2 inches wide. I have been loading a 50 hornady ballistic vmax and IMR powder. I don't know if its the gun or I can't get a decent load. Some have told me it is a hard gun to load. Any suggestions?

Landon,
The .22-250 Rem is normally a very accurate cartridge. I think it would be hard to find an inaccurate load. The rifles that I have owned in that caliber usually shot .2-.3" groups with reloads and hardly ever shot .5", much less over. It has won its share of benchrest competition.
Are you using front/back rests or sandbags? bipod? Which IMR powder? 4895, 3031 or 4064. The best I could ever get from my rifles using Hornady V-Max bullets is .4" groups. With Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Match Kings I get .2's and .3's.
Is you barrel free floated? Is you barrel broke in? What kind of trigger pull do you have? What kind of scope, mounts and rings are you using? Need more info to help ya. JohnnyK.

Thanks JohnnyK,
Ya I have just over a hundred rounds through it, I actually sanded the stock off yesterday to free float it. I have always shot hornady in my other guns and it was always great. I am shooting off of a sandbag and have a burris scope, I am going to get a monarch by nikon with the turrets and stuff next week and I think that will help. I am using the 4064 powder just because I have heard that it is easier on barrel life. Also, I didn't break in my barrel with the molly coated bullets, does that matter?
Thanks
Landon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts