22-250 rem 700 with 26" bull

petasucks

hi everyone I have recently. Bought a 22-250 it has a1in 14 twist I was wondering. If anyone else has one. Of these things and what shot good in it in thinkn 55 trainers but am not a 22-250 guru as of yet. Thanks as always in advance for all the great advice you guys always give -John

hi everyone I have recently. Bought a 22-250 it has a1in 14 twist I was wondering. If anyone else has one. Of these things and what shot good in it in thinkn 55 trainers but am not a 22-250 guru as of yet. Thanks as always in advance for all the great advice you guys always give -John

I shoot 50 and 55 grain slugs and they hit the same place?? I got a box of 45 grain bullets so I may load some of them.

Varget. It's been about a year since I've put .22-250 rounds together, and I can't remember how many grains of Varget I used. We moved into our new house about 6 months ago, and I still have some of my reloading stuff in boxes in the garage. I'll see if I can unpack a few boxes this weekend to find out what I used.

petasucks

I use H-380 now. I Had used IMR-4350 with 55 grain Nosler Solid base.
I'm shooting the Barnes TSX 53 grain with 39 grains of H-380. At 38 grain my groups were around 1.5"-2" @ 100 yards. I added one grain of H-380 and it helped stabilize the TSX bullet in a 1-14" twist barrel. Now there shooting cloverleaf groups. And there is no fur damage on Coyotes.

Also I'm on my third 22-250 and they've all shot real well. M 700's

Scratch

First things first if it has the crappy plastic stock get rid of it and put a better stock that the barrel is floated on it stock pressure does funny things as the barrel heats up, And I use Varget I have used H380 and found it to be very heat sensitive and verifyed with my chronograph. I use 55gr v-max bullets and my gun likes them .015 off the lands. Have fun with your new gun.

Ahh the memories. My favorite rifle was a Winchester Featherwight M70 in 22-250. After I had it bedded and with reloads I had less than dime size groups at 100 yards all day long. I too used H380 with 55 gr pills. I really miss that rifle. It was superb at its job. The Coyotes really hated that rifle!

well it don't like 52gr hpbts gonna try 53gr fbhps and see what happens put varget and 380 behind them its ok for someone at 1.5-2" but not me that ain't what I bought this thing to do will let folks know what's best in it

Morning, 34grs 4320, 53gr barnes tsx fb winchester brass, 210 federal primer in found this load in the forum reloading shoots pill bug holes. my rifle is the ruger tang safety M77V 22-250. I also have the same rifle in the 22-250AI. I love the ruger V's. i have 5 of these rifles.

T U M just countrygun)

Last edited:
if you decide to go with the barnes varment grenades , do not use the 50 grn . they will likely be too long and need a faster twist than 1-10

36s are about as long as most 50-55 gr soft points
and the 50s are about as long as the 62 gr ss109s

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.