22-250 re barrel to deer rifle

Toydy

Hey there guys, new to the site, so be gentle.
I have 2 x 22-250 rifles and want to re barrel 1 of them to a deer rifle caliber.
The rifle in question is a rem. 700 and I want to put it in a thumbhole stock with adjustable cheek piece topped with a Steiner 4-16 x 50 military scope and was just wondering which caliber and stock you would recommend for deer out to about 600.
I was thinking maybe 260 ai as my other 22-250 is an ai as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey there guys, new to the site, so be gentle.
I have 2 x 22-250 rifles and want to re barrel 1 of them to a deer rifle caliber.
The rifle in question is a rem. 700 and I want to put it in a thumbhole stock with adjustable cheek piece topped with a Steiner 4-16 x 50 military scope and was just wondering which caliber and stock you would recommend for deer out to about 600.
I was thinking maybe 260 ai as my other 22-250 is an ai as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.

As for the thumbhole stock...I can't be of help.

But as for caliber, the 7mm-08 is an exceptional caliber for deer. .260 is also a good caliber, and so is the old tried & true .308 Win. I have had both the 7mm-08 and .308, and they are exceptional on whitetails. As much as I love the .308 Win, I would have to give the slight advantage to the 7mm-08. There is a larger ammo selection for the .308 Win, but I personally feel the 7mm-08 is a better hunting round. I give the tactical advantage to the .308 Win.

Starting with a 22-250, you could rebarrel to any of the following:

- 243 Win
- 260 Rem (or 260 AI)
- 7-08 Rem
- 308 Win
- 338 Federal

I'd probably look at the 260 or 308 for a deer rifle. As far as stocks go, it depends on how much you are wanting to spend. You could go with a Boyd's Thumbhole stock for a lot less than a Manners or HS precision.

McMillan or manners would get my vote for a stock. A 260 ai, 260 remington, 6.5x47 lapua or 7mm-08 would be great for deer.

I know its small…but its potent. My dad's caliber of choice for white tail was the 22-250. Careful shot placement..In 30 years of hunting never lost a deer.
My buddy's dad as well uses small calibers and has success…he uses a 223 so it is possible...

A 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. A .260 remington is too long for a remington short action when using long and heavy bullets, you can't fit them in the magazine without seating them very deeply or altering the magazine.

SI
A 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. A .260 remington is too long for a remington short action when using long and heavy bullets, you can't fit them in the magazine without seating them very deeply or altering the magazine.
I agree, I'm 6.5 Creedmoor fan, but the Lapua Brass might steer me to the 6.5x47. I really like the Creedmoor though.

If it's just for hunting, be super cool and re barrel it to its parent case the 250-3000 Savage. 600 on deer might be a stretch but it would get there. I'm currently working on a 257 Robt. imp and it is a sweetie to shoot. I think that a light little handy 250 would be pretty darned useful. I hear that they Ackley Imp quite well too.------SS

Drop it in a Bell and Carlson M40 stock, bed it, and rebarrel to 260 or 308. That is my go to recipe to get my rem 700's shooting sub MOA groups. I love B&C for that reason...and they are cheap too! :D

5.6x57 RWS
A factory 22 cal cartridge shooting a 90gn soft point bullet intended for deer. This is a bigger case than the 220 Swift. It is the standard Euro 57mm case with thicker walled brass.
Sorry but I like being different! I once used this cartridge in a Steyer model L rifle to take a 6x6 bull elk with a single shot at just a smidge over 400 yards. This is kind of the Ferrari of factory 22 cals.

WOW thanks guys for all the help.
How about Choate SCP SNIPER REM 700 SA BDL/ADL 6.5 Creedmoor with Steiner 3-15 x 56 GS3 scope. Barrell twist rate, length for around 120 to 130 grain pills ?

Why not go ahead and rebarrel it to 6.5x.284 Norma and you'll have a 1000 yard deer rifle. Most short action calibers run out of deer killing energy around 500 yards. Sure, they will punch holes in targets at 1000 yards, but deer are harder to kill than paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.