22-250 projectile choice

55grn Nosler BT/ 33.5grns IMR-3031 out of a 24" tube. Simply fascinating!!!!!! Had to play with the jump but when I found it all I could say was WOW~!~!

My 22-250 Ackley likes the 50gr z-max with varget powder. Same barrel before Ackley improved liked 55gr v-max with 8208xbr both with Winchester primers.

Hi Millbrooke,

With a twist as slow as 1:14'", use the GSC HV bullet in 40gr from our range. I have shot blesbuck (about 40kg dressed out) out to 535 meters with it and it penetrated through. The rifle that I used is a converted 220 Swift and also has a 1:14" twist.

Unfortunately, getting really far out is going to require a faster twist than what you have now.

I've had really good accuracy with the 52 gr JLK low drag bullets. My rifle also really shoots 52 gr A-Maxes well, and I get better velocity. All I've shot is H380 as it gave groups averaging in the .3's when my barrel was new. Now, several thousand rounds later, it still shoots half MOA 5 shot groups. Rifle is a Cooper with 14 twist.

50 & 55 grain Hornady slugs powered by Varget. Both print same patterns on a target and seem to deal death blows on varmints equally .

By light game do you mean, goats, pigs & deer?
If so have a look at the Hornady GMX, a mono bullet along the lines of the barnes, they do a 50gr GMX that should be available across the ditch. Another option that has worked well for me in a few swifts is the 70gr speer. Fairly dumpy for its weight, Ive never had problems getting it to stabilize in a 1:14 at swift velocities.

For maximum point blank, point and shoot range on rabbits and foxes a 40gr is where it is at. The heavier pills will have an advantage somewhere past 4-500y but for anything under the 40s do shoot flatter.

The highest BC bullet that will stabilize with an SG higher than 1.5 in a 1:14 twist is the Speer 55 grain TNT. My 1:14 22-250 likes these better than any other bullet.

I use 55gr v max and 55gr varmagedden for my 22-250 1 in 14 with varget, and 55 gr v-max and 55gr varmagedden in my .223 1 in 12 with H335 or 2230 which ever is easier to find and have excellent groups with both. I have used h380 in the past and still have three pounds of it in the cabinet but have found it to be sensitive to higher temps verified by my chronograph so I have'nt used in a long while, but if powder gets very hard to find I might use up what I have stored. I shoot 55 gr fmj and fbsp with h335 and 2230 out of my AR with a 1 in 9 and it shoots very good.

Before you give up on factory ammo try Hornady 55 grain spire point(#83365). These come in a box of 50 and the price is very reasonable. They have been very consistent and shoot under .5 minute.

Good thread everyone. Can I pick your brain ? I just picked up a Savage BVSS with a heavy 26" brrl and accu trigger. Has a 1:12 twist.I have only shot factory ammo so far.Hornady 55 gr v max , and 50 gr superformance. Just breaking in the brrl (50 shots), Any suggestions on factory and hand loads for this set up ? Thanks so much. Gary

Flat base bullets. Probably the best are the 64 and 60 grain Berger varmints. Then next the Speer 55 grain TNT. Then the Nosler hollowpoint flat base Varmageddon. These are in descending order of BC. All these will reach an SG of 1.5 in a 1:12 twist. The 55 grain hornady Vmax gets to SG of 1.4 here at 6000 ft altitude. An SG of 1.5 is a stability value that assures you get the full BC of a bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.