22-250 Primers

swpc629

What opinions does everyone have on which primer to use for the 22-250. I have seen load data using large rifle, large magnum rifle, and small magnum pistol. Can anyone give me some insight as to which one is the best?

depends on the powder, I use WOLF large rifle with rl-15 for my 60 gr bullet loads. 4 rounds of a 5 round group went @3508 fps, 1 round at 3480 fps, pretty consistent i'd say.

Last edited:
OK, let's clarify a couple of points.
The 22-250 NORMALLY has a large RIFLE primer diameter hole, there are a couple of brands that have gone to small RIFLE primer diameter holes recently, as I understand it.
Either which way, RIFLE primers, whether LARGE or SMALL are of a different depth to PISTOL primers, whether LARGE or SMALL!

As is the case in point, a LARGE RIFLE primer is what's needed in the 22-250, you do not need a Magnum primer in this size round, no matter the type of powder being used, and you will most likely get the best and most uniform ignition with a STANDARD primer.

Also, I do not believe there is a "best" primer, benchrest primers may be more uniform, but I have never seen it dramatically decrease group size enough to justify the higher cost.
I have no particular preference in primer brand, but I've had good results with Winchester LR and Federal 210Match, that's all I could get, either give identical groups in my 22-250 and 22-250AI.
I have also used CCI on occasion with good results. I feel that of all the components used, the primer has the least affect on accuracy.
gun)

OK, let's clarify a couple of points.
The 22-250 NORMALLY has a large RIFLE primer diameter hole, there are a couple of brands that have gone to small RIFLE primer diameter holes recently, as I understand it.
Either which way, RIFLE primers, whether LARGE or SMALL are of a different depth to PISTOL primers, whether LARGE or SMALL!

As is the case in point, a LARGE RIFLE primer is what's needed in the 22-250, you do not need a Magnum primer in this size round, no matter the type of powder being used, and you will most likely get the best and most uniform ignition with a STANDARD primer.

Also, I do not believe there is a "best" primer, benchrest primers may be more uniform, but I have never seen it dramatically decrease group size enough to justify the higher cost.
I have no particular preference in primer brand, but I've had good results with Winchester LR and Federal 210Match, that's all I could get, either give identical groups in my 22-250 and 22-250AI.
I have also used CCI on occasion with good results. I feel that of all the components used, the primer has the least affect on accuracy.
gun)
run some h-380 thru your fav. coyote gun at -20 deg. without a mag. primer and let me know how that works for you.

run some h-380 thru your fav. coyote gun at -20 deg. without a mag. primer and let me know how that works for you.
Luckily for me, H-380 isn't available here in Australia! Where I live it does snow, but we do not get the temps you get over there, so I have no need for magnum primers in my 22-250's. NO coyote's either!
gun)

I use large rifle primers (Winchester) in my 22/250 loads with H4895, but with ball powders you may have to step up to magnum primers to facilitate consistant ignition.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.