22-250 powder choice

300win

Just picked up a nice 22-250 winchester for my son. I have reloaded for a few over the years but nothing serious. I was just wondering what the preferred powders are for 50-60 grain bullets out of a 24" barrel. Thanks!

I've tried everything out there, and honestly I think they are all probably a good choice. There is however a new powder out there called Reloader 10X. I staretd using that in my 22-250 and it's AMAZING. I had a CZ I was going to get rebarreled because I couldn't get it to shoot as tight as I wanted. Myself and a friend started using 10x and WOW. What a powder.

The last 2 22-250's i have shot have both loved around 37gr of H380 and a nosler ballistic tip seated as close to the lands as possible. Both guns would shoot around .3 consistantly with this load

steve

H380 has no peer in the 22-250. 37 to 42 grains with 50 grain Hornady SPSX's. This bullet does things the plastic tip bullets only dream of. I would start right out at 39 grains and enjoy. In 5 different Rugers you have to move it around to even see if the other rounds are hitting the paper. Yes it groups that tight even after 6000 rounds and I can't get anywhere near the rifling anymore. I still just can't take a 1 holer and justify changing the barrel.

My 700VLS shoots the 50 gr BT with 36.0 grs Varget and a Federal GM210M primer at .5 MOA.

I think I am going to try H380 judt for grins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338

I've tried everything out there, and honestly I think they are all probably a good choice. There is however a new powder out there called Reloader 10X. I staretd using that in my 22-250 and it's AMAZING. I had a CZ I was going to get rebarreled because I couldn't get it to shoot as tight as I wanted. Myself and a friend started using 10x and WOW. What a powder

I'm not talking about a 22-250 but I too am a fan of 10X. Awesome shooting powder in my .204 Rem VLS. I tried several powders in this gun but 10X won me over quick.
Nobody has mentioned this but not only is accuracy good in a powder but if a powder burns clean in your gun and shoots great, what more could you want.
Thats what you get with 10X....Unbeatable accuracy and a cleaner bore than some other powders offer.

On another note, check this out...

Example: My 22-257 had great performance with IMR 7828 but was always very dirty after a few rounds. Accurate but dirty. I switched to H4831SC and had the same accuracy but much, much cleaner. I can maybe shoot 3 times as many rounds with the Hodgen powder between cleanings.
The 22-257 has alot of powder coming out of a small hole so powder choice is a big issue. Thats 47 grains of powder out of a .224 caliber.
I didn't mean to add so much about other stuff in your thread, just wanted to give you something to think about that no one else mentioned when selecting a powder and wanted to give you a good example. :)

Have try everything and best results in my 22-250 varmint is :
34Gr Benchmark (Hogdon) or ADI BM2
50gr Nosler silvertip
CCI Br2 primer
Lapua Brass
OAL 63.50 mm
.3 all time.

H4895 for me. 36gr and a 52 or 53gr HP has accounted for 99% of my whistlepigs the last 10 or 12 years. I have had good luck with the H380 as well in years past,but prefer the H4895 for the bullet weights mentioned here.

I've been using varget and 4064 for years both are very accurate can't go wrong with either one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.