22-250 loads

Skinny Shooter,
Wayne is very close to the correct powder charge for H-380 w/the 55gr.My one book shows 41 as Max with 50,700 CUP - 22-250 pressure is 53,000. Speer book list a 55gr at 42gr of H380.

Also on the Varget w/the 55gr V-Max - I am also loading mine at 36.5gr. But its not as fast as with H4895.

Hodgdon Book; (MAX load)
55gr- 36.5 of Varget for 50,000 CUP

---------
Zod

[ 06-30-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

Hi Zod, I was using the Hornady manual #5 for that info. My 2004 Hodgden Annual Manual shows the 55gr Speer SP maxed out at 41grs with H380.
Hodgden seems to show better loads for calibers ( like Varget and a 175gr Mking in a 308 than what Sierra does) and it may be due to different pressure testing equipment.
My #4 Nosler shows the 55gr BT with a 35gr max load of Varget but in my gun I was able to go up to 37.5 grains with no issues. Or none that I could tell.
shocked.gif

36.5 grains seemed to be the sweet spot.
From 36 to 37.5 there was no gain in velocity but I'm sure it wasn't easy on the gun going up that high. I did wear good eye protection though. LOL

Not sure about this but maybe the combination of different barrel rifling and different manufacturers bullet jackets combine to create high pressure in one gun but none in another.
And then there's barrel wear in a new gun vs a more used gun too. Oops, that "vs" must have been a freudian (sp?)slip...
wink.gif

Figuring all this out can be pretty kewl stuff.
When you can figure it out.
wink.gif

Allen

[ 06-30-2004: Message edited by: Skinny Shooter ]

The rest of you guys posting on the 22-250: Has seating depth been as big an issue for you as it has for me? I didn't get the really good groups until I came off the lands .01". I called the guys at sinclairs to chat with them about something and they brought up seating depth and how in his(salesman's/tech's) 22-250 and his friend's 22 br, the seating depth was also .01" off the lands for best accuracy. Ring true for you guys? If it is fairly true for many 22 cal rifles, I would start there and use that for your test loads and then fudge with seating depth some more after an accurate load is found.

Man

I didn't realize so many 22-250 shooters out there. This is all great info..Now need to re-read everything a few times over. Guess I need to break down and buy the Hornady Manual.

Joe

Skinny Shooter;
Yes you are right about different guns could/would have different pressures. Over the yrs of testing I have come to relie on primary the Hodgdon #26, but I also use other sources.

Ken Waters Vol.I & Vol II of Pet Loads is another source that I use for cross reference of different loads.

Not every gun will shoot every handload the same, of course we all know that.

Shilen30;
I have seated mine for yrs @ .015 off the lands, why not .001? Well....just never tired it to honest with you, but you are correct tho, most small calibers do work much better at that depth. At least that's what I have always read anyway.

I presume that by your name "shilen", that you must shoot a shilen .30 barrel.
I am shooting one on my 22-250 (700 trued action) but have only got about 60 rds thru it so far. I am running out of coyotes around here to point at.
-------------
Zod

Lablover, I got that data from the 2004 Hodgden reloading magazine. I used the ladder method to determine load weights. As others have stated I have found H380 to be quite temperature sensitive, as confirmed by shooting through a chronograph. Still, it shoots very well in my rifle. As for seating depth, I shot from touching the lands out to .025 off, in .005 increments. The rifle shoots best at the .005 off that Cooper tested the rifle with.

[ 07-01-2004: Message edited by: COBrad ]

Zod,

Too bad about your coyotes. Plenty over here and lots in central idaho if you ever get the hankering. Yes, I have a shilen select barrel chambered for 300WM. I love it! Yes, after reading COBrads post, I remeber reading one guy also say he likes .025" off. For my win mag, it is .005" off with the 200 grain SMKs. Before rebarreling my 300, it liked 200 grain partitions at the lands, but the barrel drove me nuts because after owning the rifle for a couple months and after floating the barrel, I noticed that the barrel was slightly crooked and the gunsmith over here confirmed. Custom from now on! I really like my shilen, but I like Dan Lilja a lot and his reputation (great personable guy to talk to over the phone) that I will most likely go with his barrels next time. I hope to build a 6.5-284 with a 1 in 8.5 twist in the near future, but I need to see if he actually puts out an 8.5. If not, I guess a 1 in 8 will work.

shilen30
I have read alot about Dan's barrel being of top choice for many shooters. When I was thinking about a new barrel for the 22-250, his name crossed my mine, but I eventually settled on the Shilen.

I like the fact that there is hardly any fouling with my shilen and it sure cleans up fast too.

[ 07-03-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts