22-250 loads

G

Just bought a new Remmy 22-250..And am looking for some starting loads. Got the sierra manuals as well as Noslers. No way I wanna pay for the Hornady manual...45.00 bucks...WOW

Anyway, am interested in loading the Vmax using H380, winchester cases and win Primers.

Thanks for the help in advance

Joe

They list 35grs. as a start to a max of 41.2grs. for the 55gr VMax and 34.1 to 39.1 for the 60gr VMax. These are the only two bullets they show with H380.
Wayne

I have the 50 gr vmax now. Looks like I need to find a different powder. I just heard H380 does well in the 22-250

I also have sierra bullets as well as Nosler

I've been using 38.7 gr. H380 with both 50 and 52gr bullets. After shooting over 500 rounds this spring I have found this load to shoot consistently in the mid .3's in my rifle. My best ever 3-shot at 100 yards was fired using 40.1 gr H380 and a 50 gr V-max. It measured .068, but the 38.7 load is more consistent.

My load is 34 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 50 Blitz King. Consistent sub 1/2 MOA. Hot load MAX. in my rifle.

I have been loading 52-55 grain bullets with H380 with good results. Now I offer a caution. I loaded an extremely accurate .308 load with H380 becauseI had it, and I am curious by nature. When the weather warmed up - and I'm talking Arizona warm - the same loads were very over-pressured. I've since learned that H380 is VERY temperature sensitive. Bummer.......

The stuff flows like water through the measure.

Weather...Yes, something to consider. Guess it's time to play with different loads and go from there.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Joe

lablover,
CObrad is pretty close on them loads using the H380 with a 52gr.

I do not use Nosler, Sierra or Hornady manuals, don't like them, have not bought one of these since the early nineties. I only use Hodgon's, Barnes and Speer books now, they seem to be more accurite for me.

I myself like H-4895 for the 55gr V-Max in my 700 w/Shilen barrel. For a 52gr Speer my best groups have always been with RL-15 powder.
I really don't care for the H-380.....but a good temp. sentive powder is the RL-15, I also use it in my '06 with "super" good results.

-------------
Zod

[ 06-29-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

Try Varget if you can. It's supposed to be more tolerant of temp changes. I shoot my 22-250 VS for predators in Winter and skinnys in Summer with the same load which is a 55gr Nosler BT over 36.5grs of Varget and a WLR primer. Gives about 3600fps.

The Varget load for a 55gr Vmax is 30.8 gains for a minimum load up to a max of 34.6 grains

The MAX load for a 55gr Vmax over H380 is 40.6 grains.
Not 41.2 as Wayne had typed.
I think he saw the max load for H 414 which is right below it. Your gun may not even notice. Proceed with caution.

Keep us updated on what shoots well for you.

Definitely listen to skinny as well and try the varget as well as H4895 since both are pretty temp insensitive. H380 still worked best for me.

Outstanding...I really appreciate the help all.

HAve a good one...I'm off to buy more powder
smile.gif

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.