22-250 Load Suggestions

38 grains of H380 behind a 55 gr. Sierra Varmint bullet was extremely accurate outta my Winchester Model 70 Stealth II rifle. I finally shot the barrel out and it's currently at my gunsmith's getting a new 8 twist Proof barrel.

Due to living in California I'll be trying out the 55 grain Barnes MPG when I get it back. If I'm not happy with the Barnes results I'll be giving some Hammer bullets a whirl. One thing is for certain, I'll be starting with H380 powder, Lapua brass and Federal Gold Medal Match primers.

thanks everyone. I just reloaded both 50 and 55 grain VMax bullets based on your recommendations. Took me a little just to find some brass. I ended up buying some Remington brass, but they also had Hornady for about twice as much, but it seemed like there were a lot complaints on the Hornady brass. Is that my imagination?

thanks everyone. I just reloaded both 50 and 55 grain VMax bullets based on your recommendations. Took me a little just to find some brass. I ended up buying some Remington brass, but they also had Hornady for about twice as much, but it seemed like there were a lot complaints on the Hornady brass. Is that my imagination?

I would not take Hornady brass for free!!

Anneal your cases before firing them, and you will have a lot less problems.

H380 was named at such because 38.0gr of it behind a 52g bullet shot one hole groups for bruce hodgdon's new wildcat called the 22-250.

Bruce Hodgdon didn't create the 22-250. It was created by Grosvenor Wotkyns, J. E. Gebby and J. B. Smith in 1937.

That is 15 years before Bruce Hodgdon started selling his first military surplus IMR-4895, and maybe 25 years before Bruce Hodgdon ever handled his first grain of ball powder....

Bruce Hodgdon didn't create the 22-250. It was created by Grosvenor Wotkyns, J. E. Gebby and J. B. Smith in 1937.

That is 15 years before Bruce Hodgdon started selling his first military surplus IMR-4895, and maybe 25 years before Bruce Hodgdon ever handled his first grain of ball powder....
Geeze, I knew someone would argue-- I guess you can call Hodgson and tell them they are lying on their web page then. -- regardless, the name of h380 still remainsthe same

Geeze, I knew someone would argue-- I guess you can call Hodgson and tell them they are lying on their web page then. -- regardless, the name of h380 still remainsthe same

Argue??? Not me. Just stating well known facts.

I could find nothing on the Hodgdon website that says Bruce Hodgdon developed the 22-250.

An interesting fact - there were factory 22-250 rifles for sale (Browning, 1962), 2 years before there was any factory ammunititon available (Remington, 1964).

Go here and get some education.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.