22-250 Load Suggestions

cquist

I just picked up a used Cooper Model 22 Varmint Extreme in 22-250. I planned on shooting 55 grain bullets in it, but may also try 50 grain. Does anyone have any load recommendations for this firearm? I am very excited about taking it out and shooting it. Thanks

I shoot a 22-250 and love it, I use winchester brass, 50gr hornady v-max bullets, wlr primers, and IMR4064 powder. Start at about 34gr's and work up watching for pressure signs. My gun came alive at 36gr and held the quiet barrel node to 36.3gr. Gets kinda hot at those powder charge levels so work up slowly to where it shoots good. My avatar shows how it shoots...........Good Shooting

Last edited:
15 years ago my father taught me his favorite recipe of Nosler 55 gr. ballistic tips behind 38.0 grains of H380 and CCI Benchrest primers in R-P brass, and I've never strayed since. I'm sure there are newer and hotter loads developed since, but it's done me well on paper, coyotes, a doe, and countless prairie dogs and ground squirrels.

Don't know the load but my buddy shoots Varget with 55gr Nosler BT in his 22-250 and it is bug hole accurate and it will evaporate a ground hogs head and put a coyote down like it was hit by lightening.

I've had the opportunity to load for 3 different 22/250 rifles. In all 3 the hands down best powder(for accuracy) with 52-53 gr bullets was H-380. My last was a Rem 700 VSF. With 38.4 grs of H-380 Rem 9 1/2M and a Hornady case at .020 off lands my accuracy was .35 MOA. Great load.
Oh yes, I was using a 52 gr Berger FB

Last edited:
I just picked up a used Cooper Model 22 Varmint Extreme in 22-250. I planned on shooting 55 grain bullets in it, but may also try 50 grain. Does anyone have any load recommendations for this firearm? I am very excited about taking it out and shooting it. Thanks
I used to shoot an older savage 110 pre 75 heavy barrel 26" 1/10 twist I cannot remember the load exactly, I always shot Speer 52 gr BTHP 4300 fps seems like I used H 4895 powder. 1 hole in the target @ 100 to 1000 yards every time, that was the best bullet I ever found. I used to shoot some 40 & 45 gr with that same load it was fun watching them Disintegrate and tumble after 600 yds. Many a Gopher, Coyote, Deer & Elk became mine because of that gun and load. Why I ever sold tha gun is beyond me. which I could find another one.

The 53gr V-max has a great bc. I just did a load development for my dad's savage with 34.4gr of Benchmark, which doesn't seem to be a very popular powder for this round but I had a couple pounds on hand and it's always on the shelf. This load ran an avg of 3780 out of a 24" barrel.

Attachments

• 20200401_164039.jpg
    20200401_164039.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 255
The 53gr V-max has a great bc. I just did a load development for my dad's savage with 34.4gr of Benchmark, which doesn't seem to be a very popular powder for this round but I had a couple pounds on hand and it's always on the shelf. This load ran an avg of 3780 out of a 24" barrel.
it's fun to find that odd powder and bullet and work up that perfect load for that one gun

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.