22-250 Load Suggestions

If you go to the 380 powder write up on the hodgdon website you will notice it says he was using his new 22-250 wildcat. Not that he developed it, just that he was using his new wildcat rifle, and developed his now famous 38gr load. I actually had a remington 700BDL varmint rifle in 22-250 bought new in 1967. Used it for 30 years for eastern Pa groundhog hunting.

If you go to the 380 powder write up on the hodgdon website you will notice it says he was using his new 22-250 wildcat. Not that he developed it, just that he was using his new wildcat rifle, and developed his now famous 38gr load. I actually had a remington 700BDL varmint rifle in 22-250 bought new in 1967. Used it for 30 years for eastern Pa groundhog hunting.

I read the same thing. I believe the wildcat was called the 22 Varminter if I remember correct which was later the 22/250.IIRR

I know what Wikipedia says
anyone actually read my post? did I ever say that he invented, patented, created, the 22-250? (read the words coming out of my mouth ;)) -- My post was intended to let the OP know that H380 was named as such for how great it worked in the 22-250

If you want to see the exact wording on Hodgdon's page-- here it is " H380 was an unnamed spherical rifle propellant when Bruce "B.E." Hodgdon first used it. When a 38.0 grain charge behind a 52 grain bullet gave one hole groups from his 22-caliber wildcat (now called the 22-250), he appropriately named the powder H380. "

now if we want to be specific too on the actual powder-- it was actually a spherical military surplus powder that Bruce bought, packaged, renamed H380 and sold under the Hodgdon company name --- I never said it was manufactured by Hodgdon back then either if we want to get technical.

The intent wasn't to argue over who "invented" the 22-250, it was to inform the OP of the potential use of H380 and the name in and of it self is the "recipe" for a good shooting load in his rifle

Wotkyns claims the "invention" of the "22-250 wild cat" -- but there in lies the issues with "wild-cat cartridges" --- who really gets the credit? do we know 100% that Wotkyns was the first to try this combo? or just the first publicized/claimed "inventor" Gebby (who teamed up with Smith) actually held the patent for the "22 varminter" in 1937 (the "predecessor" to the 22-250 ) not Wotkyns, yet its parent case was designed in 1915 -- nobody else tried wild-catting its parent case to 22 caliber over a 22 year period? -- browning was the first commercial rifle manufacture to chamber one in 1963 and Remington "adopted" it and took it to saami for approval in 1965 --- you know what they say...."to the victor belong the spoils"

I used to shoot an older savage 110 pre 75 heavy barrel 26" 1/10 twist I cannot remember the load exactly, I always shot Speer 52 gr BTHP 4300 fps seems like I used H 4895 powder.
Heres the one I would be real interested to know how many gr's of 4895 accomplished this :eek:

How many grams of CFE-223 in your load to get 4,000 fps?
I dropped 38.6 grains of CFE223 to get 3916 avg. with 49 ES and 16 SD. Not the best load but I was running short of time and had to settle for this load. I got up to 4139 avg @ 39.6 gr. But pretty hi ES & SD. I have not gone back to fine tune.

I have a Cooper model 22 22-250. Love this rifle. First barrel was standard 14 twist. I shot close to 2K 52 grain Amax's with 38 something grains of H380. That barrel shot in the .3's reliably for most of its life. I now have an 8 twist on it shooting 75 grain eldm's with 35 grains of H4350. Its death on prairie dogs and marmots wayyy out there.

What kind of velocity are you getting with the 35 grains of H4350. I've been thinking of switching to that instead of varget with the 75 eldm's.

I shoot a 22-250 and love it, I use winchester brass, 50gr hornady v-max bullets, wlr primers, and IMR4064 powder. Start at about 34gr's and work up watching for pressure signs. My gun came alive at 36gr and held the quiet barrel node to 36.3gr. Gets kinda hot at those powder charge levels so work up slowly to where it shoots good. My avatar shows how it shoots...........Good Shooting

Is your 22-250 rifle a SAVAGE? My SAVAGE HB from like 2000 came with a factory test recommendation of 40gr projos. I've not shot it with 40gr-ers. I'm not even sure it's been fired. It's a 'tactical' config, which I favor, & the cost was SO reasonable I couldn't resist. Figured it could be made into another SA caliber, if 'necessary'. Might have to consider selling it.
'Ambivalent', my middle name.

Last edited:
Is your 22-250 rifle a SAVAGE? My SAVAGE HB from like 2000 came with a factory test recommendation of 40gr projos. I've not shot it with 40gr-ers. I'm not even sure it's been fired. It's a 'tactical' config, which I favor, & the cost was SO reasonable I couldn't resist. Figured it could be made into another SA caliber, if 'necessary'. Might have to consider selling it.
'Ambivalent', my middle name.
Mine is from 2003 and has 1-12" twist, lot of people use 40gr bullets for the extra velocity. I think 40-45gr would be best for the twist but I went with 50gr and it shot bugholes so I stuck with the 50's, I also like them better in the wind. I actually have two only difference is the stocks (low profile-varmint), preparing to build a larger caliber on the one.

I just love 50 gr nosler ballistic tips with 38 grs varget and 210 fed primer.Approach from below as always chronoed it on several 26 inch bbls and it's always around 3800 kills like lightning and is bughole accurate in a 14 twist

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.