22-250 improved

chris matthews

Old fart,
If you have a bolt, the feed lips in the mag can be opened a little to feed the 22-250 AI. You will need a new mag and follower however. In the 12 twist you might be able to eek by with some 60ish weight bullets, but 55 for sure.
Really need a 10 or 9 for the 69 or a 8 for the 77s.

Gents - I know this isn't a small caliber site, but you guys have supplied some great info . I have a 223 heavy rem bdl - could this be rechambered to 22-250 imp - looking at the twist for heavy bullets ,I found a 250 bolt , will the mag feed the 250 -thanks

First off what twist is the barrel now?

When you say heavy bullets what weight?

Depending on the answer to those two, then you can get an answer that will be accurate.

If you are talking 80-90 gr then need 1-7 or 1-8 probably and goes down from from there.

BH

BountyHunter - its stock , 12 twist I think ,looking for the heaviest the twist would allow , I have many years and rounds threw this rifle , thought it would be a great way to freshen this up - didn't know if it could be done , if mag would feed etc. - thanks

Hey Old Fart what're you gonna be using those bigger bullets for-- varmints or targets??
FWIW i've had some pretty good terminal ballistics out to 550 on coyotes with the 69 gr. Nosler Comp. out of a 1:9 twist barrel on a AR .223AI @ 3100 m.v.

[ 12-31-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

sscoyote - will be using it for both - with a 12( I think) twist , was hoping for a little better range , better in the wind - wish it was a 9 twist , but I will take it in and see may be go to a 223 impr - set it back and rechamber - thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.