22-250 for heavier bullets?

False alarm. Bad modified case giving false readings from lands to ogive. Making another one as we speak. Interesting you bring up the 53 grain Vmax. I played around with those last weekend. My gun has a 1:9 Hart @ 27" long. I shot a ladder test with Win Brass, CCI BR2 primers, H414 (43-45 in .5 increments). The node was apparent at 43.5. So I loaded from 43-44 in .2 increments. At 43.6 I shot the first (2) in the same hole and then the 3rd shot was pulled out (by-some ******* operating the trigger) to a .304 group size @ 100. Speeds were 3887,3898, 3898. Obviously I was very pleased with this! So now I have a 75 Amax load (chucks and wind) and a 53 vmax load (rats and chucks with little to no wind). Have to get back to you on how far they are jumping :)

I got excellent groups with the 75 grain A-Max bullets, but had only 2 boxes of them. I was going to order 5 more boxes, but discovered Hornady no longer made them. So now they have the22 caliber 75 grain ELD & the 75 grain ELD-X which is more expensive, but since I'm not a hunter I plan on buying 500 of the ELDs, on sale I hope. I've had good luck w/H414 & Dupont 4350, but recently switched over to H4350 only because it measures better. I have 100 rounds of it loaded when weather gets better. I have high hopes for it.
The only Hodgon powder I've loaded & didn't have above average results with was H380. It was probably because I used it only when shooting the original Savage barrel. Nothing I shot thru it impressed me much. It was a depressing 2 years.
The new Shilen barrel shot great from day one & my depression has disappeared.:)
I have about 1000 rounds of Sierra bullets from years past & I'm looking forward to see if they shoot as good as they did out of my 788 Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.