22-250 for deer

Have killed dozens of white tail deer with .22/250 with 36gr. H380 and many 55gr. bullets of all kinds shoot them in the neck(spine) they will not run away. As several have mentioned bullet
placement key to success...
i can't comprehend all the guys on this site doing all this neck shooting. i can in doe season drive around on ranches doing game control and shooting 22 cal partitions or hornady inter locks in neck or behind shoulder or sit in an enclosed deer stand and do the same to does under a feeder. but, when 'deer' hunting i am sneaking or sitting where i have a remote chance of seeing a 160 class buck at up to a mile and it may be in scattered brush and after a doe and in wind. i want at least a .270.

The 22/250 is very light for big game and wind really effects the bullets. But having said
that I have killed many deer with a 22/250 "But they were all neck shots and almost any
bullet will work if used in this way.

So if he wants to use it make sure it is a very accurate bullet and somewhere between
45 and 52 grains And that he shoots them in the neck(He will have something to brag
about, not to make excuses for).

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
10-4 and ditto

I finally give up on discouraging people from using .223 and .22-250 on whitetails. In ND bucks can weigh up to and over 300 lbs. I guess it doesn't matter how many deer you see running around with injuries due to light bullets blowing up.

Yes, you can kill a deer with a 55 gr bullet, thats not the point. If you can only afford one rifle and its a .223 I guess you pick your shots and make it work.

For everyone else, I believe a .243 with a good bullet is a sensible minimum.
10-4 and ditto. every 2-3 years i have to dispatch a deer with a floppy leg or broken shoulder. in west texas water is at windmills and you can often find a deer that 'got away' but didn't survive.

I've seen deer with the leg flopping from a failed bullet out of a 7 mag, bad bullet choices combined with bad shot placement is bad regardless of the caliber or chambering!!

i'm talking a leg flopping on a deer hit from the side at approximately 4 inches above the body line where a high-powered rifle (and yes, i must waste our time dictating a large game bullet) would NORMALLY have produced rapid death. now be obtuse if you wish. i'm sure in YOUR capable hands a 22 cal is ok for elk and cape buffalo. i have a friend who took a 5x5 bull elk with a 223. i killed a 350 lb muley with a 33in. neck (neck shot-but i almost didn't get the shot i needed) with 7 in. bases, but if i had had my 270wby mag or 300rum to make the 250 yard shot in wind and brush it would have saved my underwear. i was lucky that day. you are probably right, we made it for centuries without big game rifles and probably dont need them now. well, i did shoot a nice running whitetail at 200 yards once and hit it in the guts with the 270 mag. glad i had it since i gave the deer an hour and followed the gut/blood/slime trail 200yards and got my 20 in. 11 pt. I've killed bear, elk, muleys and w,tail with a bow-but it's now the best thing to get dinner with.

heck, i have a patient who has killed a couple with a slingshot. hit them in the head out of his truck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.