22-250 and rl 17

Joby1

Anyone tried this combo? Im thinking a 37 grns rl 17 should be a safe starting point? Will be shooting 55 v-max out of 24" ( I believe) sako, if gun allows of coarse.

You do not state what brass you are using or what COAL you intend to load to. Fired case capacity of your brass and your intended COAL will both have a significant effect on what may, or may not be, considered a safe powder charge.

I have used RL-17 with both 53 VMAX and 69 SMK in my 22-250. It has outperformed everything else I have tried and is my favorite 22-250 powder:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/started-load-dev-22-250-53g-vmax.136445/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/12-twist-22-250-69g-smk-h-t-michael-courtney.136330/

I will be using new lapua brass, loaded to 2.450 coal, .010 off the lands to start with. I would like to try a heavier bullet but I dont think the 14 twist will handle much more. Thanks for the threads ill give them a read

You are correct that the 14 twist will limit your options. When I had a 14 twist, I couldn't get it to shoot any 55 grain bullets well. I had my best luck with 50 VMAX and 52 AMAX (now ELD-M).

Lapua brass will have somewhat lower capacity than most other 22-250 brass. The 55 VMAX also has a longer bearing surface vs something like the 53 VMAX. Both of those factors will likely translate to reaching max at a lower powder charge than I did, though the toughness of the Lapua brass may mask the pressure signs.

Doing some research last night I noticed the 53vmax has a better bc than the 55 grn.. There for if it doesnt like the 55 ill go lighter. Thanks for the replys amd info

The 53 VMAX has a very aggressive ogive, is LONGER than the 55 VMAX, and requires MORE twist. If you need to go lighter, the 52 ELD-M and 50 VMAX are both good options.

I have learned a lot from other members of this forum, along with my own trial-and-error. Always happy to pass the lessons on!

I worked with VARGET, CFE223, IMR 8208 XBR, and RL-17. RL-17 is my favorite and works well with bullets from 50 grains to 69 grains (that is the range I tested). 8208 XBR is another good choice with standard varmint weight bullets. It can't match the velocity RL-17 produces, but it still yields good speed and is temp stable. Accuracy is excellent.

You've peaked my interest now. Been working on a 50gr z-max load out of my Tikka Varminter with 1:14 twist. I loaded up Varget, but since I'm still in the beginning stages I think I will try some Reloader 17. What kind of load (gr) are you running and what velocities are you seeing with the 53gr?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.