.22-250 and 53gr. VMAX

Parkerb14

I was wondering if anyone has shot these out of a 14tw bbl (Remington) with any success. I had a guy send me 12 of them and I did not have one keyhole, but am a little skeptical of buying a box after reading results on the net. Any load data and results would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Parker

Also want to add it will be for long range coyotes 700yds or less. I am currently shooting 52 Amax, but want the better BC of the 53 Vmax. Should I stick with what I got or what?

My 22-250 AI with a 12 twist shoots the 53's great. I use 41 gr. of Ramshot Big Game for a velocity a titch above 3800 fps. They make prairie dogs VERY acrobatic!!!

I have to push them pretty hard in a 12 twist to get the reuslts I like, ended up getting a .248" 5 shot group. My load is win brass, Fed210m, 36.5grns H4895, 2.4" OAL that got me 3886fps but its hard on primer pockets.

Check out the 52 gr LD bullets from JLK. Their published BC (G1) is .309. From my experience I think that is a little optimistic, but I've shot almost 1K of them through my 14 twist Cooper. They have worked very well for me with numerous coyotes over 400 yards. I shot a PD with them a couple weeks ago at 683 yards. I did a lot of testing with them out to 650 yards a few years ago and found they grouped very well out at those ranges. Best 5 shot group was 2.35". Like any of these little .22 cal bullets, it doesn't take much of a breeze at that range to move them around.

I shoot the 53 grain v-max and 53 grain match hp hornady both loads are same with each bullet imr 4895 34 grains and cci primer. shoot hole for hole at 100 yards not a screamer but is very accurate load. have shot deer with these loads with no problem out to 350 yards. dogs don't even now what hits them. hope this helps. i believe if remember right it is around 3650 fps

if you like clean kills drop in there tracks.. use 55gr ballistic tip 30gr reloder 7. ive used v max and sst they dont compair to what i get from ballistic tips.

I have a Rem 700 VSSF II in a .220 swift, 14" twist and i shoot the 53gr. vmax right at 4000 fps. If you push them fast enough they are sweet, dont plan on skinnin those dogs though....big gory holes haha:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.