22-250 ai ??????

allen

I am going t build a 22-250 ai. I want to shoot 75 or 80 gr a-max and 80 sierra I was thinking about a 1-8 twist and the people that I talk to said to go to a 1-9 and I am going to use a 3 grove poc-nor barrel 28" long in a light palma contour . any input on this project. thank you allen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi allen,
I too am putting together a 22-250AI but i want to shoot lighter bullets fast.
I therefore have ordered a 14 twist fluted senderro profile barrel from Lilja so i can drive 50-55grn bullets at 4000fps +.
Action is a Stiller Predator and this will be pillar bedded into a Mcmillan Marksman stock.
I also have a Vais muzzle brake so i can keep my sight picture during recoil and observe bullet impact.
Scope will be a 6.5-20x50 Leupold with side focus.
I am still currently re-building my lathe so i hope to be shooting this project in the early spring.

Ian.

The 1-9 might stabilize the 75 and 80 pills in some barrels but I have seen some that won't , even from the same barrel company.
I would go with the 1-8 just to make sure , if their is any velocity loss it will be next to nothing.
You have to think is it worth the risk of getting barrel that won't shoot them , then what your stuck with it where if you get the 1-8 you know it will stabilize them and you'll have no worries.
What is the reason that these folks are telling you to get a 1-9 instead of the 1-8?

Hi i have a 22-250AI wilt a 7 twist barrel to use heavier projectiles it shoots the 69 and 80gr Sierra's like stink it does however blow up the occasional 90gr Sierra. I would go with the 8 twist and it will stabalise the 90ge Sierra aswell and be a lot better than the 80gr projectiles. The 75gr A Max will stabalise in a 9 twist but i would not use it in the 22-250AI as they can blow up with the same barrel as my 22-250 i chambered it in 223 first and blew up A Max projectiles in the 7 twist barrel at 223 velocity so even in the 8 twist if you are pushing them hard you may have troubles. I would look at the new 80gr A Max and see how it holds up.

My preference would also be an 8 twist and use the Sierra MatchKings and forget about the A MAx projectiles and i would try the 90gr MAtchKings as they are very accurate. when the barrel was in 223 for testing i shot a group at 300 yards that measured .325" high and .865" wide because a gust came up and blew me out as i did not have any flags out i missed the change. their also was another 223 shooter using 80gr Sierra's at the same time and his group opened to 2"

Cheers Bill
Australia

allen,
with the bullets you listed go with a 1-8" twist, but what ever you do have Chris at Pac-Nor make you any thing but a 3groove or you will be blowing up more a-max's than what hit your target
UB

Allen-go-with-the-1-8-twist.-You-will-be-much-happier-with-that-twist-rate.-Good-Luck-and-have-fun.-I-have-a-220-Swift-and-shoot-the-smaller-bullets-out-of-it.-I-am-currently-shooting-the-40grn-V-Max-at-4200fps-out-of-28"-1-14-twist-Lilja.-Your-going-to-love-the-22-250-AI-good-varmint-caliber.

Once-again-go-with-the-1-8-twist.

Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.