22-250 AI info/loads

I "second" the comments of Bradtothebine

Fireforming using cream-of-wheat requires testing and very small incrimental increase of powders at a time for best result.
Just like any reloading process.

Follow the advise that Badtothebone has outlined above for the actual process

And yes, there is a difference between the 2 powders discussed.
Even SAME brand/same numbered powders should be kept in original containers and not mixed together.
Reloading 101

Have a good day!
AlbertaAL

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Al and Brad, check this out:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]H414[/FONT]
4141b-w.jpg
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Spherical H414 is a ballistic kin to Winchester 760 and has wide applications in diversified cartridges. It is especially popular in the 30-06 and similar sized rounds. Use in cartridges as large as 375 H&H is not uncommon.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Source: Lyman Reloading Manual 47th Edition[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]This spherical powder has an extremely wide range of use. From the 22-250 Remington to the 375 H & H, it will give excellent results. It is simply ideal in the 30/06. As with all of our spherical powders, it delivers incredibly consistent charge weights through nearly any type of powder measure. H414 yields similar results to H4350 in most cartridges, although charge weights will vary. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]MSDS[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Source: Hodgdon Powders[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Back Close Window[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]This page is used as a Pop-Up window only.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Use this link to bring you to The Reload Bench Main Powders page.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]© Welcome to The Reload Bench 1999 - 2005 All Rights Reserved [/FONT]​

thanks for the explanation

I don't use either of those powders so it doesnt really matter to me.
But, good explanation.
AlbertaAL

A ballistic kin

But still shows up 2 spots different on the burn chart......

U do it your way......Ill do it mine. Even though its a BALLISTIC KIN, Id bet that they dont just package some with h414 and then switch to a different labeling/packaging and call it 760......

To each his own....

tell me why is the speer reloading manual #13 pg 157 .22-250 50gr that although the same chARge of powder is used, there is a velocity difference??? same powder?? i think not.

example 2, same book, pg 162 .220 swift 50gr. h414 42.5gr max 3770fps....ww760 42.5 3743 fps...

I relize they are CLOSE but they arent THE SAME..... And you should know in the handloading quest for accuracy that a SUBTLE difference sometimes can make a world of difference ( 5 thou seating depth, .2 of a gr etc etc etc )......

Last edited:
Magnum maniac,
Cream of wheat is semolina back here in pommieland, just wandered if you aussies call it the same:p:)

Ian
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had no idea what the stuff WAS!
Finally! I can now go and buy the stuff and stop wasting my PUMPKIN!
Very MESSY way to do things!
Thanks HEAPS Centre Punch ( good to see you spell 'centre' correctly!)
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
MagnumManiac
gun)

For 22-250AI load, the best I have had so far is a 52A-Max under 40.4 grains of VV150. This is in a Weatherby action with a Border Barrel 22 inch. Gives superb accuracy at 300 yards and gives just under 3800 fps.
For all .224 rifles, I think the A-Max is the best bullet available.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.