22-250 ai feeding

Foxhunter,

THey can be a little rough feeding, especially in a controled round action. THis is why I recommend a puch feed action like the Rem, Win 70 PF, Savage and Sakos.

Of the AI rounds, the 22-250 AI is one of the roughest feeding because of its short length, relatively fat shoulder and small caliber.

Still they can be made to work as repeaters with decent feeding.

I much prefer a 223 AI for a repeating rifle or bumping up to the 22-6mmAI. THey just seem to feed a little smoother from a box mag.

For a single shot varminter, the 22-250AI is very hard to beat.

But like I said, they can be made to feed well enough to be used in a repeating bolt gun just fine. Just do not expect a smooth as silk feeding!

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,...thinking of a 220swiftAI
grin.gif
any feeding issues with that one?

As to the 22-250AI feeding,..The barrel entrance can be slightly beveled to allow smoother feeding. Some of the longer Weatherby chamberings have that done to the barrel (my smith found this variation in some weatherby machining manuals when we did a funky project on a MK V action of mine) Went from a 257wthby to a 338RUM using the factory rem 26" barrel(Hey,..it was free and I had the action laying around). Changed the threads to fit the rem barrel to the wthby action & headspaced, but had to go back and bevel the chamber end to allow feeding of the much larger case/caliber. Worth a look anyway.

[ 10-06-2004: Message edited by: JustC ]

JustC,

Any chamber should have a radius cut around the chamber mouth after teh chamber is cut. This is just good machining technique.

I personally do not like to put any additional bevel on the chamber mouth on modern high intensity rounds simply because I want as much steel supporting the case head as possible to insure safety in the case of an over load.

Basically covers my rear as a gunsmith even more.

In my opinion, most feeding problems with the AI rounds occur with the smaller caliber AI rounds.

This is magnified if the case is short such as the 22-250 AI.

What happens is as a conventional round is pushed forward in the magazine by the bolt, the bullet ogive contacts the feed ramp(M700) and lifts the round over the ramp and into the alignment with the chamber.

With an AI round, this also happens but the sharp shoulder hangs up on the feed ramp and this causes the hang up.

The larger rounds have greater bullet diameter that lifts teh case higher and allowing less of the 40 degree shoulder to contact the feed ramp and thus they have smoother feeding.

Roudns like the 22-250 AI and 243 AI are pretty rough feeders at times, longer cases on the 06 case are much better but still can be rough feeding until caliebr gets to around 6.5mm or so.

THe 280 AI and 30-06 AI are actually pretty smooth feeders.

The 220 Swift AI is a problem child as well in my mind, great performer but there are better designs for a repeating hot rod. Not only do you have to deal with the small caliber sharp shoulder but you also have the rim to contend with.

I much prefer teh 22-6mm AI over the 220 AI for boths its performance advantages and its better feeding qualities.

For a single shot the 220 AI is very hard to beat though.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks kirby....I guess he had to add a different angle or something of the like for mine. The conversion was a bit crazy (named the gun "frankenstein" since it is parts from all over) but it was one of those "just because" projects with some spare parts.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts