22-250 9 inch twist with 75 AMAX

ranger3

wondering if anyone here has experience or own this caliber and twist and if they have successfully shot the 75 AMAX accurately to long ranges or is the twist simply not fast enough. If you have had success, what powder and primer have you used??

wondering if anyone here has experience or own this caliber and twist and if they have successfully shot the 75 AMAX accurately to long ranges or is the twist simply not fast enough. If you have had success, what powder and primer have you used??
You could call Hornady and ask them but it should be more than enough twist on a bullet with that profile and speed.

Remember RPM is what stabilizes bullets and that's a combined function of both rate of twist and velocity.

Its a toss up here it might shoot fine and it might no your really close to the edge.

Ranger3,
I have a 22-250 Ackley Improved with a 9 twist that I built for that specific bullet. I use H414 powder and WLR primers. I generally run about 3350 fps but have ran it up to 3450.
The rifle shoots great. My kids liked shooting it so much that I built an 8 twist .223 so I could get MY 22-250AI back. I talked to lots of guys that tried the 75 Amax in their 9 twist .223's before I built the 22-250AI. What I found was at .223 speeds the 9 twist was not fast enough to guarantee stability. It was about a 50/50 deal. But it was close enough with the .223's that I went ahead and bet the success of the AI build on a 9 twist working.

Did you shoot the 75 AMaX in your rifle before you AI'd the rifle. Actually one group does look promising, but was also wondering if something besides H4350 would be a better powder?

75amax 36grs. of 4831sc gave me good results in the factory 22-250 savage with a 9twist. Just ordered a cooper varmint laminate left hand and they rec. a 8twist. Should be able to see in 6months or so how the cooper will do.

Brent

Ranger,
I built my rifle as an Ackley. I started with a Rem Var conture SS Hart blank. So it never was a sammi 22-250. The rifle usually shoots in the .2's for three shot groups. It is also the first rifle I ever shot a .0 with.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.