22-250 75 Grain A-Max

HOGGHEAD

Anybody shooting the 75 grain A-Max in their 22-250. I just received a new 22-250 I had built with a Krieger 1in8 twiist- heavy 28 inch barrel. I am getting ready to start loading for it, and I just wondered if anybody had any experience with the bullet. Data is a bit hard to find. I have been thinking about H-414, and H-4350?? Any other ideas?? Or loads with those 2 powders? Tom.

H414 is what my 8 twist 22-250 has liked for many years. Start around 33 grains and work up from there...36.5 grains and the 75 Amax is what I use but it may be too hot in some?

H414 is what my 8 twist 22-250 has liked for many years. Start around 33 grains and work up from there...36.5 grains and the 75 Amax is what I use but it may be too hot in some?

Any idea what kind of velocity you are getting?? Barrel length?? Tom.

Ya the barrel is a 27" Shilen and 36.5 grains of H414 with a winchester magnum primer gets me 3425 in the summer sun. I'd use this outfit a LOT more but the barrel fouls fast and NEEDS cleaned every 25 rounds. Was hopeing it would get better with use but if anything its gotten worse?????

22250ior.jpg

I was hoping to get 3200-3300 fps from my new rifle. If I could get 3400 I would be very happy. I have heard the H-414 can be temperature sensitive. Do you believe this to be so??

I will be using this rifle for long distance ground hog hunting. I consider long distance to be from 400-700 yards. I think I got it right with my rifle build and bullet choice. However only time will tell. Tom.

IMG_0521.jpg

I had a local smith take off the worn out 243 sporter barrel and screw the Shilen 8 twist on to this old Ruger tang action 5 or 6 years ago. Somethin aint right cause I had to shim the bases a bunch to get it on paper with the 8-32 br NF. This pic is from 2003 or there abouts
boomerspanky.jpg

I've got a beautiful walnut thumbhole stock around here I tryed to get the action into but finaly gave up and ordered a Boydes stock(the one you see in the pic on the other post) for it.It has yet to realy get finnished either as it is still unstained with just a coat or two of tungoil on it to help seal it a bit. Fitting and bedding stocks onto Ruger actions can be a real PITA!
Most will tell ya that 3300fps is doable and probibly the optimum velosity. This one for some reason only liked H414 when new and the faster I drove it the better it shot? The plan is to cleaner up real good and try a few different powders to se if it will go a few more rounds between cleaning.
With so many guns to chose from I only have 450 rounds through it and all with H414 and 75 grain Amaxes. I like the round but this setup has been a lot of work from the start and still not finished...I loose interest and it has sat a couple of years unused.
As for H414 being temp sensitive.......By benchrest standards it may be but for shootin dogs with the 22-250(75Amaxes) and 243(55Noslers) it has not proven to be a problem. I did however work up loads @ 75º, try to keep the ammo out of the sun and dont let a round cook in a hot chamber. Good advise for anyone shooting in the high desert summer!
The 37.5 grain used in this target proved to be a little hot for summer use and the load was backed off to 36.5 with no signs of preasure. I did try moly on the 75 Amax to se if it would shoot a longer string between cleaning but gave up fast as the barrel did not like moly at all.
This target is representitive of how this thing shoots rounds 2-20. God only knows where the first fowling shot is going to go and it starts opening up fast after 25 rounds ;-(

old%20toy%20pics%20003.jpg

I've been thinking about making up a barrel like yours, let us know how yours works out. I have the latest edition of the Hornaday manual and it shows loads for the 75 and 80 grain A-max's using both the powders you mentioned.

75 Gr. A-max

Max 37.2 H4350
Max 38.1 H414

3,300 fps Max for both powders

Skunc,
What is the barrel length that is being used for the load data? If your barrel is longer than the test barrel, then you are going to gain some extra velocity.

I had my 8 twist standard 22-250 27"shilen barrel throated to shoot the 75 grain A-maxes. It shoots very accurately... with H-414, W760 & killer groups with AA 2700 with a Fed 210 primer.
I built it for long range ground hoggin'.... I wanted to buck the wind etc.. blahhh.. I got to where I could hit the hogs a long range with some regularity, but the bullet wouldn't dispatch them... lots of draggers gettin' back in the hole. I've heard everything .. you need a swift you shulda made an 22-250AI or a 22-243 or what ever.. I was bummed. So I found a lot of 68 grain Starkes Red Prairie varmint bullets and it's dispatching the hogs better.

Here is the 22-250 8 twist
Image005.jpg

To totally remedy the problem I built a 243 Ackley Improved for the long range groundhogs and I don't have many draggers anymore. I have been much happier with it's killing performance.
The 22-250 is so accurate though, I could shoot a varmint for score BR match with it...

Last edited:
So what is the performance like with the 243AI over a normal 243? How would that compare to the 220 AI I am asking about?

I had my 8 twist standard 22-250 27"shilen barrel throated to shoot the 75 grain A-maxes. It shoots very accurately... with H-414, W760 & killer groups with AA 2700 with a Fed 210 primer.
I built it for long range ground hoggin'.... I wanted to buck the wind etc.. blahhh.. I got to where I could hit the hogs a long range with some regularity, but the bullet wouldn't dispatch them... lots of draggers gettin' back in the hole. I've heard everything .. you need a swift you shulda made an 22-250AI or a 22-243 or what ever.. I was bummed. So I found a lot of 68 grain Starkes Red Prairie varmint bullets and it's dispatching the hogs better.

Here is the 22-250 8 twist
Image005.jpg

To totally remedy the problem I built a 243 Ackley Improved for the long range groundhogs and I don't have many draggers anymore. I have been much happier with it's killing performance.
The 22-250 is so accurate though, I could shoot a varmint for score BR match with it...

Generally speaking Im able to up the standard 243 powder load about 8%. I m getting around 3800~3850fps with sierra 70 grain blitzkings out of a 28" tube. That's a flat shooting laser beam. The BC of the bullet is .299 see the ballistics...go to biggameinfo.com and run a chart...

3800fps
.299 bc
1.5 scope height
4 clicks
altitude 300 ft
80 * temps

= flat shooting hard hittin laying there dead gun....

here are two 3 shot groups @ 325 yards... about .75"

Image011.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.