22-250 1in 8 twist stabilization

gphil

I am looking into buying a 22-250 barrel and I would like to be able to shoot the 75 grain bullets so I want a 1 in 8 twist, but how light of bullets can I shoot out of a 1 in 8 twist? Will a 1 in 8 stabilize a 45 or 50 grain bullet of I decide to go shoot squirrels?

thanks,

gphil,

As background, I have been shooting 75 grain AMAX bullets in a 22-243 which has a 1:10" twist. It exhibits superb accuracy at high velocities.

I did some calculations on your cartridge which gave me a 1:9.6" twist rate for average velocities. This may point to the fact that accuracy shooters usually want to go with the slowest twist rate available which will stabilize the chosen bullet.

The other point is that there may be some slight accuracy shift when you try to shoot the much lighter bullets in a faster twist. But each barrel is an individual event and has characteristics unto itself. It might just handle both weights with no discernible difference or it might not.

Choose your twist rate based on the bullets you will shoot the most then test others to see what the barrel likes.

Regards.

With the 22/250 velocities I would recommend a 1 in 10 twist that should shoot all bullets well.

The 1 in 8 works well at 223 velocities but is to fast for the 22/250 in my opinion. most 22/250s
have a 1 in 14 for the light bullets (Up to 52 grains , and a 1 in 12 for anything 55grains and up).

for the heaviest bullets the 1 in 10 is what I would use.

J E CUSTOM

Thank you everyone, would a 1 in 10 even stabilize even the long 80 bullets ?

Thank you everyone, would a 1 in 10 even stabilize even the long 80 bullets ?

Yes. the 1 in 8 is used in the 223s with the 80 and 90 grain match Kings and Berger bullets.

The 22/250 can exceed velocities of the 223 by over 300 ft/sec with the heaver bullets so a little slower twist rate is recommended if the higher velocities are used.

Some 223 shooters tried the 1 in 7 twist and most had troubles so they went back to the 1 in 8 twist
because of the 2400 to 2500 ft/sec velocities in the 223s with 90 grain bullets.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.