22-250 1/10 twist any suggestions

bearbait

I have a newly built 22-250 with a 26" barrel 1/10 twist, Rem. 788 action, Timney trigger a 2.5 lbs. Shoot a few targets but coyotes and hopefully a wolf (two tags in my pocket) are my main intrest. Anyone have some good recomendations for loads. I have some 50 gr Barnes VG and 75 gr Hornady A Max will they work?

My buddies rifle as well as mine love the Sierra game king BTH 55 gr with around 35.2 grain varget. Both are shooting **** near one hole at 100 yds. And animals are devastated

With that rig i'd go right to the 65 Sierra GK. That bullet will net you 500-600 about as good as anything. 53 V-Max is good on coyotes. 50's will be OK but won't deliver the energy and windage at distance like the bigger longer bullets will. You might be able to get the Sierra/Hornady/Nosler 68/69's to shoot too. Lightest i'd go out of that rig for any distance would be the 60 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

60-65 should work, I don't know about 69. Just keep the pressures low, don't try to push it hard to make a heavier projectile work.

I would go ahead and give the 70gr load a try but do not be surpised if you have to go with a smaller bullet.

My 1/12 300 RUM bbl handles the 208gr AMAX just fine when the "internet experts" all said no way.

Bottom line give it a try but be prepared to search for what works best.

I am very curious to hear how they work out for you and will be following this thread.

Best,

With that rig i'd go right to the 65 Sierra GK. That bullet will net you 500-600 about as good as anything. 53 V-Max is good on coyotes. 50's will be OK but won't deliver the energy and windage at distance like the bigger longer bullets will. You might be able to get the Sierra/Hornady/Nosler 68/69's to shoot too. Lightest i'd go out of that rig for any distance would be the 60 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

+1 I'd go with the 65gr Sierra GK... crazy good bullet. For a eating machine like wolf.. that's a different story... I'm liken the Barnes TSX-BT 55gr. bullet there.
Good luck with your new shooter.

The 75gr bullets would not stabalize. Most of them hit 100yd target side ways about a 12 inch group. The 50 gr Barnes VG did pretty good. Loaded up 20 rounds with different wights of powder. On the way to the range I droped the box and spilled bullets on the ground. Like shuffling a deck of cards. So I have to start all over!!

This thread is making me rethink a purchase I am/was about to make... I've been looking at the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 22-250 as for a coyote/varmint rifle. The twist rate on the Tikka is 1/12".

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't the Tikka be even less likely to stabilze the hearvier bullets?

(sorry if this is hijacking).

This thread is making me rethink a purchase I am/was about to make... I've been looking at the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 22-250 as for a coyote/varmint rifle. The twist rate on the Tikka is 1/12".

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't the Tikka be even less likely to stabilze the hearvier bullets?

(sorry if this is hijacking).

60gr is about as heavy as you will be able to go.

Thanks for the information. I think I can live with 50g and 60g bullets in 22-250 for predators and varmints. One Tikka, coming up.

Word of advice, the Hornady 53grn V-max has the highest BC of all the lighter weight bullets. You can use the 64grn Berger, but its a flat base and you only gain .004 on the BC. The Hornady has a BC of .290. You can push it faster and flatter. That is what I am currently load developing in my Savage LRPV 22-250. It has the 1:12 twist also. Groups are really small. I'm quite impressed.

I also have the Tikka T3 in a 22-250. I don't reload. Hornady Custom 50gr VMax shoot really well. I haven't tried the 55gr VMax yet but plan to.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.