22-243Win Opinions

PredatorDown

Not even finished with my current build and already thinking about my next one...

I've already decided to take my old Ruger M77 in 243Win and change it to my lightweight hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

But after talking to my smith on my current build that is changing my Rem700 into a switch barrel rifle, it got me thinking of doing the same thing with the M77. If I do, it'll be into a super fast lightweight .22cal.

So my question is this: anyone have experience with the 22-243Win? Or 22-243 Middlestead?

I know it'll burn barrels quick, but I'm really not worried about it for that rifle. After load development, I doubt it would see 100 rounds a year. The 6.5 Creed would primarily be for deer/elk, while the 22-243 would be for a flat shooting coyote cartridge. There's just something about being able to launch a 75gr amax at 3500+fps that gets me all hot and bothered.

And I'm not going to lie, part of the reason is just to be different haha

The 22-243 is pretty popular around these parts as a coyote rig. I had a 12" twist 22-250 rechambered to 22-243 just to see what the cartridge was all about. Most guys are running a 1-8" twist if I recall correctly. 75 & 80 grn A Max' @ 3500fps is about the norm.

The Middlestead would be cool but I'm not sure if it's honestly worth it. Kinda odd with me saying that as I'm a known speed junkie :D

I was able to get the 40grn Blitzking up close to 4600fps... but I've never taken the chance to whack a 'yote with it.

It's a good cartridge if used as intended. 5moa to 500yds isn't too shabby :cool:

t

PredatorDown,

There's just something about being able to launch a 75gr amax at 3500+fps that gets me all hot and bothered.

I can't agree with you more. I've been working with fast .22 centerfires for the last couple of dozen years for the speed and explosive results at longer ranges for varmints. The .22-243 is a fine cartridge, I take nothing away from it.

However, it is possible to work with the .22 Creedmoor in order to have the same brass to use and not have to switch. I save a step by using the 6mm Creedmoor brass instead of the 6.5mm but there is little difference. The performance is just as good if not just a tad better than the .22-243 version.

There are several powders which reach excellent velocities and there are a couple which will slow you down a touch and give great performance while operating a little cooler.

IMR-7828SSC (yes, I know but it works!)

Norma MRP

Hodgdon H-4831SC

Hodgdon Hybrid 100-V

Enjoy the experience!

I have a build for 22-243 that I'm working right now. Went with a 26" pac-nor 1-8T, on a 700SA and mcmillan stock. I have to wait for two other projects to get back from the gunsmith before this one gets put together.

I wanted the same thing-- flat shooting hard hitting Hunting rifle for yotes and small deer.

Good luck with the build!

Not even finished with my current build and already thinking about my next one...

I've already decided to take my old Ruger M77 in 243Win and change it to my lightweight hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

But after talking to my smith on my current build that is changing my Rem700 into a switch barrel rifle, it got me thinking of doing the same thing with the M77. If I do, it'll be into a super fast lightweight .22cal.

So my question is this: anyone have experience with the 22-243Win? Or 22-243 Middlestead?

I know it'll burn barrels quick, but I'm really not worried about it for that rifle. After load development, I doubt it would see 100 rounds a year. The 6.5 Creed would primarily be for deer/elk, while the 22-243 would be for a flat shooting coyote cartridge. There's just something about being able to launch a 75gr amax at 3500+fps that gets me all hot and bothered.

I'd run a mid weight pill in a big 6.5 or 7mm long before I went above 22-250 or the swift in 22 cal... you can better the trajectory with better bore life too. If you are running a #5 or heavier contour pipe recoil wouldn't even be an issue worth writing home about.

Clay Target Guy,

It's difficult to pin down an accurate number for barrel life due to the number of variables in components let alone the individual shooter's style. Barrel quality also is a factor.

Fast shooting is a shorter life, slow and methodical is a longer life.

Faster, high energy powders shorten life, slower cool burning powders lengthen life.

Shorter necks with longer sloping shoulders shorten life, longer necks, sharper shoulders lengthen life.

The .22 Creedmoor I mentioned above gives me a good average of the best performance with a slightly longer neck and the 30 degree shoulder when compared to the straight .22-243 Win. I can use the faster high activity powders but I prefer to step back a little and use the cooler slow burning powders without giving up a lot at all velocity-wise.

But any of the either slightly improved cases or the full on Ackley improved cases will perform as well using similar powders. Shooting the fireforming loads in the field performs with excellence without dedicating time and money to fireform ahead of time.

Regards.

Rough estimate of barrel life. Using 4831, 40 gr, at 55,000 psi
Program from Accurate Shooter estimates about 1,300.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.