22-243 vs 22-243AI shooters input.

Rugerjim

Hey Team,
I have a 22-243 that is a beast and I prefer it over the 22 Creedmoor by far for various reasons.

However it is a 1-10 and I want a 1-8 (Creedmoor barrel to re-chamber.) Considering a 22-243AI.
Just wondering if there's is a substantial barrel life increase or accuracy increase going AI? Is it actually worth the effort of fire forming in this instance?
Thanks for your input.

I like my 22-243ai for the reason you don't have to hardly trim brass and more case capsity there's really no more accuracy my cousin has a standard 22-243 and his shoots tiny little groups like mine does so it's just the load work up

I've had both and both were great shooters. My 22-243AI was used for groundhog hunting but also shot the smallest group I ever shot. Using moly coated 75gr A-Max bullets I was able to put 3 rounds into .625" at 600 yds.
But, to tell you the truth, the AI version wasn't worth the extra effort and barrel wear. I'm very happy to shoot a plain 22-243 now. Unless you have at least an 8" twist there isn't much sense to chambering to any of the 22-243 variants. IIRC I was getting 3,670 ft/sec from the AI with the 75gr A-Max.

600yd group2.JPG

We have a 220 Jaybird reamer but wasn't sure if you could load and shoot 243 brass due to shoulder length. There is a FL die available for it. Essentially a middlested with a 35* shoulder. Anyone know if I can use 243 brass for that? I'm pretty sure I'll just run them as 22-243 plains now :)

When you AI a cartridge , the benefits are being able to propel a heavier bullet the same velocity that you currently do (Normally about 10 grains heavier) with no more pressure. The AI design is a more efficient design and the slight added case capacity allows for more slower powder loads.

The other benefit is case life because the case does not tend to grow every time you fire as much, so trimming is almost non existent and brass thickness is maintained. Barrel life is also not accelerated because the velocity is very close to the same as lighter bullet loads.

As to fire forming, If the chamber is done the way that PO Ackley recommended, accuracy can be less than 1 MOA and fire forming can be done while hunting, also loading is straightforward and no more difficult than regular loads.

J E CUSTOM

So my gunsmith had a reamer for a 220 Jaybird, and I managed to track down a die, and is essentially a near AI (35*) shoulder. Close enough to ackley, but has a longer neck which will be good for barrel life. It's a Jarret pet caliber :D
Managed to get it necked down with a 22 Creedmoor FL die. (I wrote 22-250AI) but actually it's a creedmoor... to many wildcats on the brain. I really wasn't too impressed with the creedmoor, definitely got sucked into that bandwagon... ugghg.

Going to run that for a bit and see how it goes, I can always go back to a 22-243 WIN (Vanilla) ... really needs a new name... maybe the 22-Simplecat or something. I don't actually think it ever got a nickname which is sad... Just takes so much effort to say "Twenty-two two four three."

So my gunsmith had a reamer for a 220 Jaybird, and I managed to track down a die, and is essentially a near AI (35*) shoulder. Close enough to ackley, but has a longer neck which will be good for barrel life. It's a Jarret pet caliber :D
Managed to get it necked down with a 22 Creedmoor FL die. (I wrote 22-250AI) but actually it's a creedmoor... to many wildcats on the brain. I really wasn't too impressed with the creedmoor, definitely got sucked into that bandwagon... ugghg.

Going to run that for a bit and see how it goes, I can always go back to a 22-243 WIN (Vanilla) ... really needs a new name... maybe the 22-Simplecat or something. I don't actually think it ever got a nickname which is sad... Just takes so much effort to say "Twenty-two two four three."
I always thought it had a nice ring to it

To add to this, I have been shooting a 22-243 AI for a while now, got a bit warm and primer pockets are getting a tad loose.
The world still hasn't caught up with small primer brass yet, and Patterson cartridge aren't really available in Aus... I might head back to the 22-243 plain now, or back to the 22 creed. Single pass neck down and shoot is way more fun than all this fireforming.