22-243 Middlestead Case Making

wirelessguy

I have bit the bullet and am having my M700 rebarreled to 22-243 Middlestead.

However, I have never had to do fireforming, etc. Can anybody explain the process for this cartridge and what I will need in terms of dies, etc?

However, I have never had to do fireforming, etc. Can anybody explain the process for this cartridge and what I will need in terms of dies, etc?

Do yourself a favor and just chamber to 22-243 (plain) no fireforming of any kind. Just take a Lapua 243 case and neck it down and you're done. I really don't see the advantage of the Middlestead. I've owned a 22-243AI and the non-AI version.

Fireforming wastes valuable (and limited) case life in the cartridge.

You didn't mention what barrel twist you were getting but I'd suggest nothing slower than an 8 twist. You really can't get the full potential out of this cartridge without using one of the heavy, high BC bullets which require a fast twist barrel. You could shoot 52-55gr bullets out of the fast twist if you wanted to but you can't shoot the heavy bullets out of a slow twist.

Thanks for opinions. I have agonizing about doing that. I've sent a e-mail to PacNor to just chamber for the regular 22-243. I doubt they have gotten to my barrel yet.

As popular as this round has become does anyone know of anyone that has a fire forming rig setup to just form brass?

I would think someone out there has this setup and would be interested in selling some preformed brass.

I see you had already changed your mind and this thread is antique ( I hate it as the Middlestead is awesome) but the fire forming is no different than any other wildcat , Neck down, neck turn, TrailBoss, Cream of Wheat and a bar of soap

Last edited:
Hi sorry for dragging up an old thread I am interested in the middlestead because I think its longer neck will help with high BC bullets seat better and also because 30* seems to be a very efficient shoulder angle. Accuracy I expect to be slightly higher than 22-243. I am thinking if I load this down with slower burning powder I might get a better result on barrel life. straight 22-243 with 20* shoulder will be harder on the throat. I enjoy making brass I want to make the brass from Lake city 308 because it is very cheap to buy here.

Hi sorry for dragging up an old thread I am interested in the middlestead because I think its longer neck will help with high BC bullets seat better and also because 30* seems to be a very efficient shoulder angle. Accuracy I expect to be slightly higher than 22-243. I am thinking if I load this down with slower burning powder I might get a better result on barrel life. straight 22-243 with 20* shoulder will be harder on the throat. I enjoy making brass I want to make the brass from Lake city 308 because it is very cheap to buy here.
I've done 2 of them and I really liked them, Freaky fast

Fireforming is no different than firing virgin brass of any kind. I take the spindle out of my FL sizing die and run 243 brass through it, this brass is just like resizing most other things. My first sized load is the same as a fired piece of brass

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.