22-243 Experience???

OKbow87

Well guys I am thinking about doing a 22-243 standard shoulder angle. I used the search and found plenty about the inmproved shoulder styles but not too much on the standard. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with the standard and had any info to share. Thanks in advance guys.

Colin

I've been shooting a slow twist for about ten years,I keep it slowed down to about 4000 fps with a moly 52 gr. mk.Alot of guys around here are going with fast twist and having good luck with the heavier bullets.

I'd look up Jerry Newman out of Elk City or Mike Luckett out of Lavern (I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif). Those guys are building a ton of them and there alot of western OK boys that are shooting them.

Hi why not get a 22-250AI you will get similar balistics with dies easier to obtain and the 40 degree shoulder is much better than the 20 degree shoulder on the 243 case. You will have to trim and probably neck turn with the 22-243 and you wont have to do that with the 22-250AI the other thing is you can fire factory 22-250 ammo in the AI chamber and their is no factory ammo you could use in the 22-243 chamber if you get stuck because your ammo is missing.

Cheers Bill
Australia

B.B. - The guy who is gonna build it is a close friend of one of my work associates. His name is Jim Paul and he is in the Sayer/Elk City area. He is pretty good friends with Mike Luckett. I have shot a few of his rifles, two 22-243's, and a 7mm rem mag and I deff have confidence with him. Im gonna start with a 700 vsf in .308 since I can get it for less than I can buy just an action and the stock, and I wont have to wait the 20-22 weeks for an hs varmit stock(what they quoted me yesterday). We are gonna put a hart 26" 8 twist on it.

Wild Bill - The reamers they are using are set up for no neck turn. All you do is take high quality .243 brass like lapua and neck it down and trim to proper length. I thought about doing an improved version but I dont want to mess with fire forming. Its gonna be headspaced for 80 grain berger vld's in an 8 twist barrel. And even though I can push them faster they will only be running about 3400fps. max.

I bet you are happy with your gun from any of those guys. I dont know Jim Paul all that well but his dad has been coming in our families store 50yrs. I know a bunch of guys shooting Lucket and Newmans rifles out western OK and they all love them. Do you happen to know Jason Sloan???? He has one and comes in our shop alot.

Good luck
steve

yes its a deep dig, I know!

Its been some time since these posts were active, how are guys liking their 22-243 or are they all shot out and re-barreled??

thanks,

L_L

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts