22-243 Build

TR220swift

I had asked a ? about using a Model 7 Rem. for a build a few weeks ago, but I have since found an old tang safety Ruger that I can get for about the same cost. Any of the tang safeties I have been around have shot real good. My ? is has anyone used one as a platform for a build?

I have seen some nice builds on a Ruger. Is it a short or long action? In my experience, a Ruger has a very short magazine box. If you are building a 22-243 with a fast twist to shoot the heavier bullets, you will have to seat your bullets very deep to get them to fit. I am on my 2nd 22-243 and they were both built off short Remington 700's.

It is in a short action it is a M77v so it has a semi heavy barrel on it and I just like the way the rifle feels, so if I could duplicate it with a new barrel it would be great, I am not opposed to going single shot, I have many other single shots, the darn thing just feels good. Going to a gun show on Sat. to see what else I can find. Thanks for your thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.