215 Hybrid Q's

rafterfp

New Barrel inbound, any suggestions on a reamer config for 300WM shooting the 215 Berger's? Thks

Broz,
Thks so much for the info, was hoping you would chime in. Do you think 2900fps is a realistic expectation with these out of a 28 inch 4 groove Bartlein?

I used the specs that BROZ gave you for a 300 WM build this past winter. I believe we added 150 thou more free bore to mine. Mine shoots the 215's at 3000 fps out of a 26" Brux, Holland brake, Borden action on a Mcmillan A3 with Nosler brass. Start them 30-40 thou off. I am using H1000 and started at 73 gr and worked up.

Broz,
Thks so much for the info, was hoping you would chime in. Do you think 2900fps is a realistic expectation with these out of a 28 inch 4 groove Bartlein?

Yes, 2900 should be a very realistic MV and easy from a 28" with H-1000 in WW brass, or brass with equivalent case volume.

I personally am not all warm and fuzzy about 3 and 4 grove barrels with this bullet though. Might all be in my head but I don't like the idea of larger or deeper inscription to the jackets that some of these barrels can induce. I have never seen it in 30 calibers, but believe in smaller calibers with tighter twists and more velocity, that jacket inscription from 3 and 4 grove barrels could lead to explosive results on impact. But this is not strongly documented and is probably more of an opinion than carved in stone.

Jeff

Jeff,
I've got a 5r in the same barrel In sendero contour, I'll just save the 4 groove for my old 06 when it's ready. Thks for the advise! Really appreciate the help fellas.
Frank

Jeff,
I've got a 5r in the same barrel In sendero contour, I'll just save the 4 groove for my old 06 when it's ready. Thks for the advise! Really appreciate the help fellas.
Frank

That would be my choice providing it is a 1 in 10 twist. My barrel is a Broughton 5C 28" Sendero contour and I get over 3000 fps with H-1000

Jeff

It is a 10 twist. What Is your COAL on your 215 load? Will I need an extended mag box?
It's a R700 mag action.

Mine is .100" shorter than I wanted. Thanks to the PTG "Tactical Match" being actually shorter in the throat than a new off the shelf Remington Long Range by .040" :rolleyes: So my measurements of this rifle will not help you. But if it were me I would put the extended mag box in while I was doing it just incase I ever needed it.

Jeff

Get the extended box. I am at 3.962!!

That means you only have .013" of bearing surface in the case neck. And that is with a maximum spec case. At the minimum spec, your bullet is just laying in front of the case. I think you need a new yardstick.

Sounded long to me to, the wyatts extended box is only like 3.810 if I remember correctly.

They have a center feed that is 3.990" and a 3.825" in a center feed and a standard box. The 3.825" box is plenty long for a 300 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.