215 Berger Target for hunting

We were talking abt the 215 Berger for hunting, hence the title of the thread being how is the 215 Berger for hunting. However, I shoot a 300 wm and use VV N570 powder. My rifle was chambered with a match reamer and has a lot of freebore. I have tried several brands of brass and primers to get both accuracy and velocity. I actually didn't have much pressure at all at 3100 but was gettin some ejector marks and this was when the temps were cold. So I figured if I Shot any at all in the summer, I had better drop the powder charge a little bit. I never tried H1000 with this Rolf ebay have had great success with it in previous 300 wm rifles. I also picked up some RL 26 and had intentions of testing it but I was so pleased with the performance I already have I didn't even try it. Whatever brass I tried, I could pretty much fill with powder and compress the bullet and never had any real signs of pressure. As already stated, Broz has done lots of testing on this bullet and I talked with him multiple times during my build and load development. He is a wealth of knowledge. Hope this helps
I'll buy your RL26 if you don't want it !
Can't find anywhere .

210 or 215 Berger work great, doesn't mean that they will match up with the twist rate, etc of your rifle. I **** an elk in Colorado this past fall at 647 yards with 210 vld hunting billets

210 or 215 Berger work great, doesn't mean that they will match up with the twist rate, etc of your rifle. I ---- an elk in Colorado this past fall at 647 yards with 210 vld hunting billets
I'm going to try some 210 VLD and some 212 ELDX IN MY 300 rum this Fri. With a few different powders. I've never shot anything heavier than a 190 VLD. Mostly 185 VLD and 180 TTSX. Stepping into the heavy bullet world. I've had good luck with Retumbo. Has anybody here tried 200 Barnes LRX in their 300 rum ?

Last edited:
I have not found this to be the case. At least 75% of the animals I have shot or watched being shot ran with Berger 180s. The 215 I would say 75% of the animals I have shot have dropped instantly. The number of animals I have killed with each is roughly the same. In any case I have never found any bullet, including Berger, that was seating depth insensitive as many claim. As much as .005 change in seating depth can half or double group size. This is with over 50 loads developed.
Me too. I shoot them in a 30 Nosler. .005 either way from the sweet spot changed accuracy a lot. 80 grains of h1000 is 3100 FPS with these in my gun. Tried ELD-X 212. Hasn't been as accurate so far. I'm thinking I won't shoot anything else but the Berger 215 Hybrid from now on.

They wouldn't out of my 10.5.

I shot the 215's and now the 230 Hybrids out of my .300 WM with a 10 twist barrel. 1/4 to sub 1/4 at 105 yards if I do my part, plus I held a 6" group with perfect impacts at 1768 last year in SD on steel. I do have a match chamber, but that won't affect stabilization.

I shot the 215's and now the 230 Hybrids out of my .300 WM with a 10 twist barrel. 1/4 to sub 1/4 at 105 yards if I do my part, plus I held a 6" group with perfect impacts at 1768 last year in SD on steel. I do have a match chamber, but that won't affect stabilization.
That's pretty awesome. Mine was 1 1/2"-1 5/8". I went through 200 of them trying to make them shoot. Grabbed the 185 and right back to a ragged hole.

IMO the 230 hyb are a bit difficult to stabilize with 1:10". What is the speed you've got with these loads?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.