215 Berger Target for hunting

Jim, where you been hiding bud? Haven't seen you post in a while... Things going good?

Hey it's been awhile. Yep things are good. Just been really busy and kinda drifted away from the forum. Had an old Weatherby laying around so had it re-barreled and a chamber cut (300 WM) so I could load the long Bergers. Checkin the chamber last night and he cut it a little deeper then I wanted. Got about 200 thousands jump when at magazine length with the 215's. Will see how it does.

Does any factory load them yet? Thanks. I have no room to set up a reload shop.

I am going to have to puzzle over this disconnected statement, for awhile.
He's referring to the .284 Winchester cartridge vs. the 7mm STW. He's saying the .284 Win is nowhere comparable to the 7mm STW in performance, by comparing a tricycle to a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle...

Hey it's been awhile. Yep things are good. Just been really busy and kinda drifted away from the forum. Had an old Weatherby laying around so had it re-barreled and a chamber cut (300 WM) so I could load the long Bergers. Checkin the chamber last night and he cut it a little deeper then I wanted. Got about 200 thousands jump when at magazine length with the 215's. Will see how it does.

I am shooting the 215 Berger out of my 06 with a .250 jump to the lands. And it shoots plenty good for what I do. I have shot under a half moa with it. When I do my part thats what it does. You should be fine. with that long jump you should be able to get more speed out of it.

Who was the fella a few years back on this forum from Montana who used the 215 gr Berger Target for hunting elk and had took a bunch with no issues at long range. I just finished a 300 WM on a Mark 5 Weatherby receiver and have a few hundred of these bullets so thinking I would give them a try. Had the barrel chambered so I could set the 210 gr Berger out so I think I can get the 215's to work. Anyone using this bullet to hunt? Appreciate your opinions and yes I realize it's a target bullet.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...PVN47KRIe5aDMGndoC0C3yo8V2xBir6Bhgi38GsjEf30k

I don't shoot a a 30cal but 7mm, but what I've found with the 180gr hybrid has been right in line with the 215gr. Terminal performance is impressive to say the least, from what I've seen they don't care 2 cents wheather their .010 or .100 off the lands. I've also tried the classic hunter in several calibers with pretty much the same results across the board.

I don't shoot a a 30cal but 7mm, but what I've found with the 180gr hybrid has been right in line with the 215gr. Terminal performance is impressive to say the least, from what I've seen they don't care 2 cents wheather their .010 or .100 off the lands. I've also tried the classic hunter in several calibers with pretty much the same results across the board.

I have not found this to be the case. At least 75% of the animals I have shot or watched being shot ran with Berger 180s. The 215 I would say 75% of the animals I have shot have dropped instantly. The number of animals I have killed with each is roughly the same. In any case I have never found any bullet, including Berger, that was seating depth insensitive as many claim. As much as .005 change in seating depth can half or double group size. This is with over 50 loads developed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.