215 Berger Target for hunting

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by kcebcj, May 10, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

What case/cartridge?

2. Okanogan

Okanogan Well-Known Member

I have used 215s out of my 300WM with very good accuracy. Black bear I shot with them was DRT, though I admit to some meat loss from shock. I am using 76 grains of H1000/ F215M or 74 grains of RL26/ CCI 250s with a COAL of 3.625 and getting about 2850 fps out of a 25" barrel. Applied Ballistics ammo (now Berger) has a very similar load for sale that has received good write up on this forum.

3. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

The last animal I had not drop to the shot was wth Hornady 162 sst, (and archery) I gave the sst more than a fair chance too. As far as group size vs seating depth that I've seen with my rifle, was tiny, so much so that I realized (I) could easily account for a much greater variation. I tried 5 different seating depths several times on different days before I just accepted that it's just a damned accurate load and should run with it.

4. chickm1

chickm1 Well-Known Member

haha. As I said, it was disconnected, meaning there was not enough information, in that statement, to figure out what he was talking about. As .284 and 7mm bullets are one and the same, I thought he was somehow referring to the STW using the .284 bullet, and had absolutely no idea what the tricycle and ninja thing was. I will say that the comparison is a bit lopsided.

jareese likes this.
  5. tlsmith22

tlsmith22 Active Member LRH Team Member

I am shooting the 215 also. In the rifle I just had built I could shoot it over 3100 but had some pressure signs. I settled on a load shooting 3060.

6. rfurman24

You really should specify the cartridge.

7. WYO300RUM

WYO300RUM Well-Known Member

What 7mm cartridge are you shooting ?
    I have had good luck with the Berger 168 gr. VLD in my 7mm Rem mag. What powder ? Thanks . Not trying to change thread to 7mm. Sorry !

8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

That is a quote that is in my signature, it was not posted as a quote in this thread. It's from MANY MANY years ago, I don't even remember what thread it was in, or the context, but obviously someone else in the thread was trying to compare the 2...And that was his response, pointing out that you can't even compare the 2 cartridges.

jareese likes this.
  9. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Well-Known Member

True story! I fine tune to .005" with the 215's. It can make a pretty big difference in the shape of the group.

10. tlsmith22

I shoot a 300 win mag as well.

11. rfurman24

You should also state the powder. 3100 out of Win Mag is waaaaaaaay over pressure with h1000 even with a long barrel. That’s pretty stout for a 30 Nosler with freebore and h1000.

12. tlsmith22

We were talking abt the 215 Berger for hunting, hence the title of the thread being how is the 215 Berger for hunting. However, I shoot a 300 wm and use VV N570 powder. My rifle was chambered with a match reamer and has a lot of freebore. I have tried several brands of brass and primers to get both accuracy and velocity. I actually didn’t have much pressure at all at 3100 but was gettin some ejector marks and this was when the temps were cold. So I figured if I Shot any at all in the summer, I had better drop the powder charge a little bit. I never tried H1000 with this Rolf ebay have had great success with it in previous 300 wm rifles. I also picked up some RL 26 and had intentions of testing it but I was so pleased with the performance I already have I didn’t even try it. Whatever brass I tried, I could pretty much fill with powder and compress the bullet and never had any real signs of pressure. As already stated, Broz has done lots of testing on this bullet and I talked with him multiple times during my build and load development. He is a wealth of knowledge. Hope this helps

MAF47 and jareese like this.
  13. tomsd

tomsd Well-Known Member

At a fishing seminar right now - IAATC - Sheraton Harbor Isle - but maybe we can hook up sometime - go shoot? email - [email protected]

14. hugheserj

hugheserj New Member

Great thread thanks. Anyone had much luck with these in 11" twist 300wm barrel or are they too heavy to stabilise?