215 Beger and 300 Weatherby with 7828?

gohring3006

After going thru the archives, I haven't found data for the 215 hybrid with 7828. Does anyone have data for this combo?
A lot of the manuals seem watered down. 2879 fps seems slow for the 300 Weatherby.
That velocity is from a email from a very helpful guy that works in the bullet industry....
It's a load that I would trust, but hoping for a little more velocity considering some Win Mags can push the 215 hybrid faster than that..
Thanks

Berger's manual does not list the 215 Hybrid at all for any calibers, so I guess the manual was printed before that bullet was developed.

I would use 210 VLD starting load data, and work up. That's what I did for my .300 Ackley.

The Berger load data seems conservative for the .300 Wby, when I compared it next to my Nosler 7 manual with similar bullet weights.

I even noticed that between the Berger, Nosler 7, and Hornady 9th Edition that all 3 of them had noticeably different load data for the .300 Wby.

I can run 78 grains of 7828 with a 208 Amax to 2950fps just coasting with this rifle.
I took it all the way up to 84 grains before I reached a slight change in bolt throw. I wouldn't even call it a stiff bolt.
The 208 should have a longer bearing surface, so I'm going to start at 73grains and work up to 79-80 grains and check velocity. I'm hoping for 2950-3000 fps without being hard on brass.... I think it's very doable...

MudRunner is correct, the Berger manual was printed before the 215s were finalized so they didn't make it in there. For the 300WBY we do have data for the IMR 7828SSC, start load 66.5, max load 74.0.

For any new bullets not listed in the manual, you can always drop us an email to [email protected] and we can forward the data sheets to you as needed if we have them.

After more research, most guys are getting 3000 fps or just under that, with a 210 VLD. I understand barrel and chamber dimensions have big affect on velocity. So I'm going to work up from 73 grains. My Hodgdon manual list 2899 fps for the 208 Amax and the 300 Win Mag. I should be able to beat the Win Mag by several fps. I got 2950 with the 208 in my 300 Weatherby. So I'm convinced Berger has a slow barrel or tight chamber in thier test rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts