212 ELDX data for 300 WBY

Dosh

Need info for 300 WBY Mark V 26" with H1000 and 212gr ELDX. My hunting pal has drawn a tag for the coveted Az Strip mule deer, home of the monsters. I have 3 months to tune a load for this hunt and him have time to do some shooting with it.
Thanks, Dosh

Data from Hornady website:

300 Weatherby Mag 212 gr ELD-X Rifle: Wby Vanguard Barrel: Factory Length: 24'' Twist: 1 in 10'' Primer: WLRM Case: Hornady C.O.L.: 3.700'' Sectional Density: .319 Ballistic Coefficient: .673
Velocity (FPS) 2600 2700 2800 2900
Powder (grains) RL-22 70.2 72.5 74.9
H4831 71.1 73.9 76.8 79.6

That should get you started.

Thanks for the replies. The Hornady data appears a little conservative. Was looking for some info from from someone that has actually used this combo. I have a safe starting charge, guess I'll work with that.
Mark V 300Wby mag
26" barrel with brake
WBY brass

Dosh,
This is just for comparison purposes and to give you some idea of what may be possible. I'm currently averaging 3092fps with the 208gn ELD-M out of my .300WinMag, 26" barrel. I'm using 77.0gn of RL26 and CCI BR2 primers. Accuracy is .53" at 100yds, ES is 13 and SD is 7.23. I stopped here and did not go any higher. The numbers, velocity and accuracy were good.
I'm probably going to start development on the 212 ELD-X this weekend, conditions permitting. I plan on starting about 75gn and work my way up. According to Chuck Hawks the Weatherby has about 6gn more case capacity than the Winchester, so work up slowly.
I'm expecting good results with this combo. Good luck to you and your buddy. JohnnyK.

I called Hornady they told me to use the 200gr eld-x as a starting point. I'm going to try 80.5gr of Rl-25 and work up from there.

Guys, thanks for the replies, now for the monkey wrench. My friend whose hunt this is for, brought his rifle to me last Friday. Turns out his Mark V 300 WBY is a W. German made from 1970 per the serial#. That makes it a 1:12 twist (yes I measured twist myself) which won't stablize a 212gr bullet. Also has a #1 contour barrel with a brake, all sitting on a 2 year old WBY factory B&C stock bedded from tang to tip of the stock. Shot it yesterday with 150gr bullets shooting 6 test loads. None of the loads shot over 1 1/2" @ 100 and one shot a .84" group. That barrel is very warm after 1 shot and getting hot after 2 shots. Also found his scope windage dial doesn't move the crosshair at all. All my shots were 3 1/2" left with the dial maxed to right and possible the elevation dial is bad too. Scope is on the way to Nikon today. Threw another Nikon on it to finish load work up. Again thanks for the replies, they won't be wasted since I'll use the info on my son's 300 WBY.

great tag. I hope you post a pic when he gets done.

He's drawn Unit 12B West. We went up there last week to have a look. One of his friend's son is a Southern Utah guide will be there the first 3 days. Just hope he's up to it, he is 71.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.