210vld vs 225eldm for bull elk

Pick a bullet for bull elk out to 800yds max in a 300wm. Both are traveling 2,900fps.

• Total voters

Subzero

I'm in the middle of doing load development for my 300wm. So far I've gotten .5" groups with the 210vld and .7" with eldm. I haven't even started playing with seating depth or groups at distance yet.
With the current shortages I want to conserve as much of my powder and primers as possible. I want to pick one to focus my load development on.
My node seems to be at 2900fps for both, I was able to drive the 210 faster but groups opened up.
Which one would you pick?

225 eld m out of a .300 win took my whitetail last year. About 350 yards. My 2760 FPS.

to me this is a no-brainer but it's built on an unrealistic premise, that both bullets start at the same velocity. If they're actually both starting at 2900 the 225 eld m, with its extra weight, much higher bc (verified), and massive hollow point under that tip (the tip on the 225 is waaay bigger than on the 208 eld/amax, much bigger hollow
Point underneath), will hit much harder and fragment much more violently at long range where that's a concern. As for the closer range...it exited on my Saskatchewan whitetail buck no problem. Not an elk BUT a heavier whitetail, end of November in Saskatchewan, real thick winter fur and tons of autumn fat reserves, was a chunky one haha.

Of course the real answer will be "whichever shoots best in your rifle". Or even "whichever you can get your hands on".

the 225 shot one hole accurate with the first seating depth and powder (8133) I tried so I left well enough alone.

I suspect better velocity could be had with other powder (79 grains crazy compressed still not at full pressure I think) but again, it shot a 3 shot
one ragged hole group and 2760 with a 225 is no slouch.

I'm in the middle of doing load development for my 300wm. So far I've gotten .5" groups with the 210vld and .7" with eldm. I haven't even started playing with seating depth or groups at distance yet.
With the current shortages I want to conserve as much of my powder and primers as possible. I want to pick one to focus my load development on.
My node seems to be at 2900fps for both, I was able to drive the 210 faster but groups opened up.
Which one would you pick?
Just out of curiosity what powder and barrel length did you use to drive the eld 225 to 2900? That's great performance!

Reloder-22 and factory remington 700 long range rifle with 26" barrel.

Rl-26 worked up to 2950fps with no pressure signs, but 1.5" moa.

4831sc worked up to 2825fps with groups just under .75moa.

I also have some retumbo on hand but haven't tried it yet. I really want to try h1000, but I haven't been able to find any.

Reloder-22 and factory remington 700 long range rifle with 26" barrel.

4831sc worked up to 2825fps with groups just under .75moa.

I also have some retumbo on hand but haven't tried it yet. I really want to try h1000, but I haven't been able to find any.
You gotta be kidding me! I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks.

This rifle came with a really long throat. My coal is around 3.65" at .020 off the lands. This might explain my higher than expected velocities. I was pretty surprised myself.

I have killed two elk with 210 VLD's out of a 300 Weatherby; neither elk took a step, but neither bullet penetrated more than 12 inches. 275 yards and 464 yards. IMO the VLD's are awesome as long as shot placement is good-if it is not you might not find the critter. 12 inches of penetration and not a piece of the bullet larger than a BB.

I have killed two elk with 210 VLD's out of a 300 Weatherby; neither elk took a step, but neither bullet penetrated more than 12 inches. 275 yards and 464 yards. IMO the VLD's are awesome as long as shot placement is good-if it is not you might not find the critter. 12 inches of penetration and not a piece of the bullet larger than a BB.

Thanks for the info. From the sounds of it, a berger is like setting off a little grenade in there.

I've never used a berger on game and am a little nervous about that type of performance. I have used a 147eldm on a deer and that bullet stayed together and passed through with a golf ball sized exit.

I still haven't decided on a bullet yet, but I do like the higher bc of the eldm...

You will have no issue with either, Shot Bulls with 210 VLD and 215VLD. Zero issue with performance for both bullets. As with any hunting situation, bullet placement is the most important factor so I would choose whichever one is the most accurate out of your rifle.

I haven't even started playing with seating depth or groups at distance yet.
Like @Calvin45 said...."whichever shoots the best in your rifle or whichever you can get your hands on" these days.
I'd play with that RL26/210 vld combo a little more if you can. Before I made the switch to the 215's and H1000 in my .300 Win Mag I had really good luck with RL26 and the 210. My load was 73.1gr w/ a CBTO of 3.878 (.035 OTL) in ADG brass and Federal GM 215M's. Velocity averaged 3029 fps for 5 shots with a SD of 3 and ES of 8. Furthest I ever took the load to was 400 yards and had no trouble shooting 1/2 minute groups. Hammered a decent 9pt Whitetail with that load last year at 200 yards and I remember watching through the scope and seeing him literally get knocked sideways and his whole body 'rippled' when that vld hit him. He still managed to go @ 20 yards before making 'the final boarding process'. I would think that combo would serve you just as well for an elk. đź‘Ť