210 vld performance

screech

Hey guy's, Shot a coyote today with my 300rum shooting the 210gr. vld. Sorry no pics forgot camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well. Is 2in exit holes normal. I was hoping for a bigger one but I'll take it, better than the coyote did at least. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks and have fun shootin and killin

For more "dramatic" terminal performance try the 110gr V-Max at a million miles/hr from the big RUM. You may have to look in the trees for pieces of the missing critter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
For more "dramatic" terminal performance try the 110gr V-Max at a million miles/hr from the big RUM. You may have to look in the trees for pieces of the missing critter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. How many shots can he get off before he has to re-barrel though? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not normal performance from my 2 experiences. I shot 2 coyotes with the bullet this past winter out of my 300 RUM doing 3000fps out of the muzzle. The first was 275 yards running. I hit him in the paunch, exit was severe, his guts were hanging out the 6-8" hole. I was surprised at the gaping hole myself. I thought I would get little holes. 2nd yote was a dumb one. Went out calling one very cold morning with my dad. No more then 5 minutes of calling and saw a dog coming our way very fast. It got 120 yards stopped and looked right at us under a sagebrush, in the meantime, it was also looking at the riggor rabbit in the middle of the field. Before it had time to think of leaving, I put a 210g vld into its shoulder at 120 yards. Good lord if that bullet didn't rip that yote a new one. I could see hair literally fly for a 5-10 foot radius. When we got to the thing, there was at least a 8" hole going all the way to its head. So from my experiences, they have been pretty dramatic on coyotes. I would think they would be an awesome deer bullet as well, but would think twice about using them for elk or bears. I have shot them into wet newspaper and the weight retention was very very poor. The bullets lost the core and were expanded all the way down to the base, the wildcat 210g did a little better, but not much in wet paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.